OT Does anyone have a ----

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Does anyone have a ----
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

I received a reel to reel tape that my grandfather recorded for me before he died back forty years ago back in europe. I finally found and bought a reel to reel taperecorder/player but no empty reel to put on the machine so I can't play the tape. Anyone have an empty spool to sell me, I would really be greatful. Thank You, Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

I would think someone on Ebay would be offering one for sale if no one comes forward with one here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Frank, I would recommend that you have the tape transferred to digital media by a company that specializes in doing so. Sometimes with things that old you only get one chance to play it, if that. I had a bunch of old home movies done a couple of years ago and have never regretted it and was told by the guy that did it that several of them wouldn't have survived my playing them as they were intended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Ditto what Walter said. I have dealt with old audio tape before, and there's a good chance that forty year old tape will only make it one pass across the playback head. The coating comes off of the base stock pretty easily after that many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Empty-Plastic-Reel-5-x-1-4-Audio-Tape-Take-Up-Small-H ub-Fits-greater-length-/390938299491?hash=item5b05bd0c63:g:w54AAOSwo0JWPQBC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

I think I still have a few reels from my old days. Let me look in the attic. If I still have them you can have one. Let me look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Frank, What size is your reel on the tape that you want to play? That will determine what size you need for a take up reel. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Some tapes were losing their coating within a couple of years, and some are still OK after sixty or seventy years. It depends on original quality and how the tape has been stored. What Walter said. But if you want to gamble and can use a 7" reel, PM me with your address. I have mess of empties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

An old 8mm film reel might get you through if you have one laying around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 06:22 am:

Frank, I looked in every box and could not find them. Im sorry but I must have tossed them sometime in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Frank, try the schools in your area. Just maybe they've got one laying around in a storeroom. I do know from past experience as a facilities manager for a school system, they never throw anything out!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration