Slightly OT. Our Visit with Les "What Gas??" Van Nordheim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Slightly OT. Our Visit with Les "What Gas??" Van Nordheim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:22 am:

We just got back from our Road Trip to Fallbrook to pick up a "new old-stock" engine for Linda's 02 Honda Accord. Some may remember my OT posting about it using oil & then turned out the engine has major issues. Well, Les PMed me about an engine he had as a spare for a car he's selling soon. The engine came out of a car with about 100 miles on it (long story there, not important right now). The engine is a near-duplicate of Linda's, it's only a little older by about3K engines! Well, of course had to look over the shop and the cars & Les said, want a ride in the '13? WANT a Ride?? as if that's a question? Oh, wait, it does have a Water Pump and a Dis-triboutor. . . Hmm, OK!
Linda and I piled in, and off we went. There's a hill on the road before it goes down hill quite a ways. We start up the hill and "sputter-sputter" but it smooths out on the level. Les says, "Hmm, we might be almost out of gas!" Wisdom says to turn around before we go down that long hill ahead, no gas stations around! So we stay on the level area & then head back to the barn. They had just come back from a tour over the weekend, and hadn't checked fuel level!
But Les wanted me to see how smoothly it runs because he balanced the transmission, and it is smooooth. But I told him he would not live down the "no gas tour" he gave us! :-)
Barbara and Les were wonderful hosts, even tried to make up for the "no gas" by giving me gas with a Mexican Cuisine Lunch! Lucky him, he wasn't stuck in a pickup truck with me for the 10 hours to home! :-) I'm not certain Linda has forgiven him yet!!
Heh heh heh!!!
This sure is a great community here! Can't wait to get the 'new' engine in Linda's car and see the difference! Les and Barbara, thank you for the great time and the rescue of Linda's everyday transportation.
The engine ready to load at Les'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Les is a talented guy, I met him and his bride some years past on a car trip----cruse from home to New Mexico and on to California. Les had done a cruse just before ours down the west side of Mexico our cruse ended up with a three foot hole punched through the rear of the ship ending one port visit while the ship was repaired. The captain responsible for the issue had to inspect the repair fell down a ladder with broken bones inspecting the repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

Thank you David & Paul for your kind words. This is the first time I "almost" ran out of gas in an early car since I started touring in the early 70's. Glad to be able to share the experience with David and Linda.....even happier that we were able to get back to the barn with what was in the tank.
The last time I remember running out of gas was in H.S. when gas was only 25 cents a gal.

Paul, our next cruise to Mexico was with in a year after you cruise. When we docked we saw the busted up concrete dock caused by your ship. Sometimes, you can get some great last minute cruise deals from San Diego to Mexico.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 03:52 am:

David,

This IS a great community .... :-)

Great thread !

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration