Frosted headlight lens

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Frosted headlight lens
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:55 am:

I found this in my water bucket today. I remember seeing it last Winter but couldn't find it during the Summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 09:10 am:

That is a very rare lens they were only produced to be used in cold climates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Be careful to thaw it slowly so it won't crack!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

That's the rare "I" lens, I as in ice. Came right after the "H" lens.

(Message edited by 404_not_found on December 10, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Well I learn something new everyday. The "H" lens must have been for southern "Hotter" climates, and the "I" lens for northern colder "Icy" climates :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Now you know where the term . .
"he Froze in the headlight"
came from. It must have been one of these headlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

Truth to be known, It's probably brighter than the original lens! I remember a few years back I left a set of lenses on the floor of my shop one night, It rained like crazy and the water seeped in and then froze hard. The lens stayed there until spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

I only have the one. I'm afraid it'll be a cold day before I find another.

Thanks for the humor.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

You guys are nuts!!! Ilove it!

Ed aka#4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

Actually they are pretty common up here in Canada from September till March where we get 6 months of winter and 6 months of poor skiing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

I looked through my Dyke's instructional manual because I thought this thread was about something I saw in it but can't find now. It concerned frosting head light lenses by suspending the glass over a boiling pot with some chemical in it. The steam would condense on the lens and the chemical would dry on the glass causing a frost like coating. Apparently some thought the new fangled electric lamps were too bright. I'll keep looking just for laughs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

1950 edition of Dykes--- " A headlamp lens can be frosted with epsom salts dissolved in a teacup of water and then used on the inside of the headlight glass where it is allowed to evaporate. This produces a diffusing type of lens which , however, in some states is prohibited" Dykes Instruction No. 38 pp.440 of said volume.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Thanx Tim. I was going blind looking at that small print any way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration