Pack tough

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pack tough
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

This came in yesterday's mail.

The box was wrapped in tape to put it back together after the switch plate was customized by some incompetent at USPS. You can't keep them from losing your stuff, but you might keep them from wrecking it if you encase it in something really solid. At least you'll improve its odds of survival.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Most mailmen here can't even be bothered to put the flag down on the box and latch the lid. I gave up on USPS a long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

USPS survey
1. I cant live without them.
2. Has several area's that need improvement.
3. Slovenly,can't be bothered to make any extra effort.
4. Always undependable always late and sometimes delivers my mail to the next door neighbor.
5. Inhales Vigorously!
Please enter the number of your response below

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

I've had stuff wrecked by other shippers too. This is an example of why I don't believe in the plot theory of history. The existence of vast conspiracies would depend on a sudden, widespread outbreak of competence. The longer I'm around the more miraculous it seems to me that anything works at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

Figure they ran over it with a truck Steve? This looks like a fairly robust part that took appreciable force to mangle like this.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Steve I don't know if your switch plate was packed very well to start with but if a package is packed and sealed well it will have a better chance of arriving safely.

And yes I know all about the problems that can arise with USPS.

I bought a Fender Twin Guitar tube type guitar amplifier (80 lbs.) and the seller shipped it by USPS. It arrived with a broken case and other damage. Luckily I asked him to insure it and I finally got reimbursed.

The problem was he DIDNT PACKAGE IT RIGHT!
Anybody with any brains would know a heavy object and especially a guitar amp is fairly fragile!
The guy put the amp in a cardboard box and that was it!!
No double boxing or anything on the corners to keep it moving around in the box!

Another USPS delivered item was a Hallicrafter HT-44 ham Amplifier (90 lbs.) AGAIN the seller DID NOT double box or add extra cushioning inside the box.
I believe I got close to the value of the item because of the improper packaging but I had to prove it. Again, insurance by the seller.

I have shipped a bunch of items over the years by USPS and have not any issues when they arrive to the buyer.

I have a feeling that your switch plate was put in a less than adequate box and taped together. It was probably crushed. To bad.

The bad situations with USPS were caused by the guy who didn't package the items I bought right to begin with. That's the bottom line in my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Steve;
Was that all that was in the box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

I have plenty of switch plates,and will give you one if needed. The guts can be re-riveted to a better face easily enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Looks like the package got punted from the end zone. I received a package from UPS a couple years ago that clearly was missing its contents. No note or notification from the driver. In all fairness though, they did a nice job of placing the empty box on deck in a secure area to prevent theft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

The last 3 items I ordered from Langs (not there fault ) came buy usps. I paid for 2 day priority mail and got them in 4 days. When you check the tracking it just sits in the same place for a couple of days before it finally hits the road. I still like Fedex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Steve

Think this hound found that missing piece that should have been wrapped around the switch plate before it went into that box.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

The last 2 times I ordered parts from Snyder's, using the US Post Office, the boxes were both crushed, and one box was literally ripped almost 3/4 away around the box. Snyder's did a great job on the packing, as I didn't lose any parts, but the post office in their area, seems to have a problem with their system or? These two times were within weeks of each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

My big complaint with USPS is that a few years ago, my Linda bought something on eBad and paid for the insurance. Somewhere in transit, the extremely well packed item was smashed by something larger and heavier. The ceramic teapot inside was broken in spite of major amounts of form-fitting Styrofoam and double boxing.
I took the mangled boxes and broken teapot along with proof of purchase printouts to the Post Office, only to be brushed off. There was ONLY ONE POSTAL EMPLOYEE in the ENTIRE REGION of more than two counties that is authorized to even TOUCH the paperwork to request an insurance settlement from the Post Office (maybe it has changed since?). That employee is at any given Post Office only ONE HOUR per week. One MUST be there at that hour ready, willing, and able, to complete all requests for compensation. Paperwork CANNOT be left, or handled by any other employee, cannot be taken home and filled out, if not completed in the allotted time cannot be finished later, and if the one and only Postal employee is in any way delayed or distracted (which happens often), YOU are SOL. All this was explained to me at great length.
That kind of stonewalling makes any such insurance a total fraud. However, because it was only a $30 total purchase decorative teapot? And I am good at such things. I glued it all back together and it looked fine on the shelf along with a few other teapots. I had to be at work at that hour of the week.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

I've had good luck with USPS. UPS in my area has been so bad that I refuse to use them. I literally had a box from LMC truck arrive with a tire track on its side and lots of damaged parts inside. Of course UPS did a "drive by" and delivered when I was down the street eating lunch... I think they were 5 of 7 packages damaged before I said "No more UPS!" I had one vendor I liked, but they would only ship UPS, so he lost a customer... FedEx and DHL have been good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

One time I bought a brand new radiator and it arrived with a hole punched right through the core. Fortunately I was reimbursed for it and after such a long wait I took my old radiator to be re-cored and it worked fine as long as I owned the car.

Those workers from whatever mail service should realize they are delivering someone's treasure. Sometimes a rare part which would be very hard to replace.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

I guess we all assume that when we ship something everything will be OK??
Remember a while back when it was revealed that the CDC (center for disease control) shipped a batch of anthrax or maybe it was some vials of bubonic plague by conventional shipping and one of the boxes was damaged?
Luckily the contents were ok. Never heard anything else about it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

I guess we could package things like we did at the Nuclear Plants I used to work at. We would take spent fuel from the reactors and put it into a stainless steel container about the size of a Stanley Thermos. Then that container is placed inside a special lead lined stainless container about twice as big as the first container and welded shut. Then the second container is suspended inside a third container about the size of a 100 pound propane bottle on spring suspension. then that container is put into a "Cask" made of stainless steel. It is about the size of a small car. It is suspended in the center of the cask and then foam filled. Then four casks are placed into a stainless shipping "cask" and bolted shut. Then the shipping casks are loaded on train cars for shipping to long term storage at the underground salt mines. At the salt mines they take everything apart except the small container actually holding the spent fuel. That little container is what is supposed to be buried in the salt mines. Then everything left is shipped back to us to re-use for the next shipment. That type of packaging may have protected Steve's switch panel. But we never used the Post Office for shipping, so I could not guarantee it .... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

And then the little containers are taken out and tossed into the White River. That in turns creates huge record book size bass fish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Michael, you may be on to something, I always wondered why we have so many record size fish from Arkansas .. ?? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 01:09 am:

That switch is an easy fix, You straighten it. Pretty sure i can do it because i've fixed them in the past. My existing one was worse than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 03:58 am:

Last year I had a complete engine overhaul set for
a EAB V8, big box. Ok the box was cut in two and
another box was taped to the other half. No one
was present at the shop when delivered (if be we
would not except it) anyways ring box smashed,
four rod bearings missing the EAB uses 3 cam bearings we got one? Now- logic dictates, this box
was not dropped by the ups man at waste level,
more so the box condition says the box was dropped
out of a UPS airplane. It was quite a height to cause that much damage. And half of the piston ring
set maybe still on the airport tarmac (they did not bother, they just threw the remains in the
busted box?? However the vender made good for
everything plus free shipping.
thats my worse experience !

sam

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration