Can anyone ID this car (non-Ford)?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can anyone ID this car (non-Ford)?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

Found this postcard in my great grandmother's album from the 'teens. I think these folks were their neighbors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

I sure don't know, but certainly a big heavy and solid looking car. It looks to be fairly new, and unless the rear fender has already received some sort of damage, it certainly is a weird shape. If that out-of-round, somewhat "peaked" shape at the top is factory design, I would think that it would be a great "clue" as far as "brand identification". However, I really suspect that the original factory shape is (was) round,.....FWIW,......harold

P.S. Oh, and "great picture" by the way R.V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

I am thinking Maxwell. I hope someone can confirm it and know what year and Model.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Must of had a six cylinder motor. The only big cars I have seen that were this old were Cadillacs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

I don't know the make either, but it's a great photo. Observe that the men are in the car while the women and children are on the porch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

The molding shape below the seat is the same. Maybe about '07 to '09.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

If someone thinks he knows what it is but would like more detail, I can email a larger version. I had to cut it down quite a bit to fit on the Forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

1909 Maxwell D A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Thanks! It does look like it, especially the somewhat odd rear fender configuration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

http://www.allpar.com/history/maxwell.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

It looks very much like Jim and Nancy Laumeyer's 1908 Maxwell (same as 1909, or maybe 09 model year, out in 08?). A very strong, well appointed four cylinder car. It has made several Antique Car Runs (New London to New Brighton).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Thanks, Rob, for the picture. Odd that the carbide generator is on the passenger side in the old photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

And as can be expected, there WB's Buick right beside Jim's Maxwell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Mike,
Yes, you "north country" folks all know each other's cars.

60 degrees herr in the banana belt today. :-)

RV, I've found Model K period pics with generators, battery boxes and acetylene tanks on either side. It seems to have been personal preference in some cases?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Hah, I saw +43 degrees while I was headed into town at 2:30 this afternoon. If this is El Niņo I hope it hangs around for awhile. The Great Northern Model T Club is having their Christmas party on Saturday. Maybe they should make it a Christmas tour. Tomorrow the Sedan comes back out. I'm going over to the tree plantation and pickup a wreath for the front end. I love summer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I love Jim and Nancy's '08 Maxwell Model D. My wife says that it's the only car in the world that she'd ever let replace her beloved '14 Touring. I think that I'd let her do that. I could get by with two Model Ts.

The first time that I participated in the NLNB pre-tours, I was in my '14, following Jim's big Maxwell for several miles as we crept along behind a Curved Dash Olds. Jim finally got tired of slowing down to 8 mph on every incline and pulled into the left lane and poured the coals to it. My T was pretty well topped out with the GPS reading 47 mph when he let off and settled in behind Walter's Buick. Jim reports that he doesn't know how fast it will go, because he's got nothing to prove and he never wants to push it hard.

It's an impressive car. I enjoy parking my little '08 Maxwell sitting next to it on tours. It's much like seeing a Model N next to Rob or Tim's Model Ks. The smallest and biggest of each make for the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Eric,
I used to tell Jim and Nancy to take good care of my next car (their big Maxwell). It is an absolutely gorgeous, big, strong touring, and one of the few cars that could have moved me away from Ford. Great car and even better people.
See you next summer at the 30th New London to New Brighton tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 06:53 am:

Well, they were good people.. until they met me. Now, they own two Model Ts. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:23 am:

Eric, it only takes one bad apple.....

:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration