Pike Street, Seattle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pike Street, Seattle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

I like the Photography Studio sign "live Forever" I think this site pretty much bears that out.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 01:34 am:

I love these wonderful street scene photos! There is just so very much interesting stuff to look at.
This one? The one vehicle I would like so much to get a better look at is the one parked at the curb near the bottom of the picture. It looks to be some sort of depot hack or open-sided delivery. It even appears to have a tailgate that is opened down. What I find so interesting about this, is that this type of vehicle is rarely seen in street scene photos with lots of other cars. There are probably a couple hundred reproduced body depot hack model Ts in the world. There are dozens of surviving original depot hacks, and stacks of original literature to substantiate that they were actually built and quite common in their day. I often wonder why they were not caught more often in street scene photos? My only guess (so far) is that this type of light truck was usually used out away from cities and towns where street scene photos were usually taken. Within cities and small down-towns, it would appear that most delivery vehicles were modified runabouts, big trucks, or enclosed full-bodied delivery vans. These show up in street scene photos all the time. That is all just speculation. I just wish I could get a better look at this one!
Great photo! Thank you Tony B.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 02:32 am:

Wayne - Not sure why, but the vehicle you're talking about, being as "open" as it is, makes me think of some sort of newspaper delivery truck,....the kind used to drop off bundles of newspapers at the various downtown news stands found in most large cities,....Seattle included.

As to "time frame", judging from the second car back that's parked on the left side of the street facing the camera, it looks to be a '28 or '29 Model A, and still pretty shiny. And the next car back is a bigger car that looks to be a year or two newer, therefore, I'd guess the year to be about 1930 or so. What a great picture! I agree Wayne,....there's something captivating about these old city street scenes. I guess I rank this type of photo right up there with railroad and waterfront scenes. Of course, being that this is very close to where my office was on the RR for my last working years, I particularly like this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 04:57 am:

Harold S, You were a Railroad Bull some years back as I recall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 06:57 am:

The clock must be broken. It says 4:05 but the shadows don't.

Great street scene!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 06:58 am:

Wayne you mean this one

I wish I had a full size picture to work with but this is the best I could do it looks like there might be a spare tire in the back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:05 am:

It looks like my truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Wayne - Yup! Thirty four years,....from '68 to '02. Twelve years starting in Chicago with the Milwaukee Road P.D, then Deer Lodge, Montana 'til Milwaukee Road bankruptcy in '80,....then the last 22 years with the Union Pacific RR Police Dept until I retired as Sr. Special Agent in Seattle in 2002. Can't believe I've been retired for thirteen years,.....it sure goes fast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

I agree with Wayne and Harold about these city scenes, you just got to love them. Wayne, here's a photo of Sambuca my 1917 Canopy Express Delivery.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:41 am:

The same street scene location - August, 2015.
Corner of 1st and Pike Street - looking east:

Still the same building on the left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:44 am:

The old Owl Drug store on the right has become a T shirt shop(!) Progress...(?)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration