Old Photo - Little Boxes, Little Boxes 1920

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Little Boxes, Little Boxes 1920
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Taken from the old elevated Union Pacific North Line track looking due east up West Arthur Avenue toward North Clark in the Rogers Park neighborhood of northeast Chicago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sQSp5jbSQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 03:10 am:

Another great photo Jay! That whole neighborhood looks nearly brand new,....houses, sidewalks, street, trees and all! Wonder how many of those houses are still there, and if many of those trees survived? I especially enjoy old photos of Chicago, being that that's where I was born & raised, but THIS ONE is really unusual!

One thing tho' Jay,....being from Chgo, and having worked for my last 22 years on the Union Pacific RR, I can tell you that the UPRR never came east of Omaha until the fairly recent mergers. I'm inclined to think that the old elevated railroad "North Line track" just about had to be the Chicago Northwestern RR, because that's about the only RR that was in that part of Chicago then. Unless it's one of the north lines of the "L" that eventually became the CTA. Not that it really matters to anybody, but being from Chicago, and having worked for the Milwaukee Road in Chicago, and eventually the Union Pacific, naturally, it got me to thinking about my RR days in Chicago. Again, great picture Jay,......gosh! I don't know where you get 'em all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:19 am:

It is looking from the red line in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago. Houses are brand new, probably late 1920's.

(Message edited by royce on December 11, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Any chance of a Streetview pic so we can see what it looks like now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Here is a picture looking from the red line up West Arthur from the same location today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:12 am:

Link:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0005007,-87.6750079,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTR0N1ff5cNq2ljQ2nTiSn g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Harold, back in the eighties I worked for Bekins Van Lines out of Elmhurst and always considered Chicago my 2nd home town. Use to haul (stick furniture from "Chair City", Gardner, Mass,) to the Santa Fe rail-head in Chicago and then go over to Grand Rapids, MI for a load of Steelcase coming back to New England.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Thanks Royce. Nice to see the same trees still there but much bigger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Thanks for the google map photos Royce!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

"..and they all look like ticky tacky and they all look just the same." Smothers brothers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dana A. Crosby in Glendale, Az on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Gary....Pete Seeger and John Hartford among others...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Having grown up in a neighborhood where everyone bought their own lot and built any type house they wanted over a period of around 20 years, I was used to quite a variety of homes on the same block. Just after WWII the "cracker box" subdivisions were built around Los Angeles and the suburbs.

I didn't realize that there were older neighborhoods such as the one in the picture which were already built in a uniform manner.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Both pictures are way too cool! Thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An example of the middle-class housing satirized in "Little Boxes": Levittown, Pennsylvania, one of the
first major post-World War II housing developments in the United States.

"Little Boxes" is a song written and composed by Malvina Reynolds in 1962, which became a hit for her
friend Pete Seeger in 1963.

The song is a political satire about the development of suburbia, and associated conformist middle-class
attitudes. It mocks suburban tract housing as "little boxes" of different colors "all made out of ticky-tacky",
and which "all look just the same." "Ticky-tacky" is a reference to the shoddy material used in the
construction of the houses.[1]

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration