Help with 1st drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Help with 1st drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Hi
I have a 22 touring car and am ready right after holidays to take her around the property. Car runs, but I'm just not sure about carb setting if needed and mag/battery operation after started.
Any one near 19474 in PA area code willing to help a fellow out.
Much thanks
Payment - much gratitude, lunch on me, or $ whichever works for you

Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:40 am:

If we were a lot closer I'd be there just for fun. While you're anticipating some personal instruction, here are some resources to get you ready.

Mitch Taylor has a severe case of the Model T bug, and has made some good videos on how to drive.
http://www.fordmodelt.net/

Here are a couple of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbp6B4u6kPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21k8N9rR0GU

When folks are a little intimidated by learning to drive a T, I like to remind them that millions of people have done it, and you're probably smarter than at least a couple of them.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Greg,

If no response in a day or two, try contacting one of your local chapter reps...

Valley Forge Chapter
c/o Joe Toner
10 Arianna Lane.
Exton, PA 19341
610-594-2545

Bucks County T's
c/o Stace Leichliter
903 Woodvale Ave.
Langhorne, PA 19047
215-752-2405

Your offer is a generous one, and I'm sure a local person will accept it.

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 11:30 am:

I learned to drive a T from reading Stern's book; Tin Lizzie, about 60 years ago.
Good information here, in the Ford Manual: http://www.mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 11:52 am:

When we bought our first T I had the owner drive it on the trailer for us. We pushed it off the trailer and into the garage. Read procedures found online a few times and gave it a whirl. Easy peasy and a car that is all feel when you're driving. Adjusting timing, throttle and carb mixture become second nature quickly :-) I will admit to crushing a garbage roll cart parking it back in the garage :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Read the owners manual:

http://www.mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

I learned to drive a model t just a few weeks ago. Adjust timing and throttle rods first. After that it's pretty simple - press the reverse pedal it goes in reverse, press the low pedal it goes forward, press the brake pedal it stops. Make sure the parking brake lever on the left is in the middle (neutral).

Watch Mitch's video also, they helped me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

I started my '27 Touring and my 6 yr. old granddaughter got behind the wheel, I told her which pedal to push and away she went.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

I'm in Malvern, PA if you still need some help. Far from an expert though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

sorry for being so short on my request.

Ive driven a t before but never set timing, carb, things like that.
Just worried if radiator water is flowing correctly and such so i don't overheat. I have oil sight glass for oil. Just didn't want to miss an incorrect sound of damage being done because of my lack of knowledge on the cars. My meter docent reach the water to see temp (especially sitting still).
I appreciate all responses
Wayne sounds like your the closest. LOL
Thanks all
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

My T had been used as a tractor when I found it in a farmers field back in the 1980s. It had no sheet metal and was fitted with solid tires and a tractor seat.

I remember the day that I finally got it started. Initially I had the timer roller off 180 degrees. I got a few chuffs but realized something was wrong and checked where the roller was when number one cylinder was on the compression stroke ... and switched it around.

Gas was supplied from an old tennis fall can and rubber hose ...and I had a 6 cold dry cell battery wired to the switch. I pulled the choke wire and turned the crank and it started the first time. I was surprised, happy and terrified. I had no exhaust pipe and the paint I had put on the manifold was burning off .. so it was loud and smoking like crazy.

I had no idea how to drive it but climbed into the tractor seat and pushed the low speed pedal and it lurched forward. I tried the other pedals and figured them out. Then I pushed the hand lever forward forward and stalled the thing. After starting it the second time I figured out how to transition from low to high .. and stop. All of this was done on the narrow dirt lane of the farm as corn stalks were flying by on both sides.

It was one of the most enjoyable things I had ever done and I still feel some of that when I drive my T today. I hope you have a similar experience on your first drive ... and many more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Greg, if you have the timing so it ignites just after the piston is at the top with the timing lever fully up, then you shouldn't get any kickbacks when cranking - and after it starts you can pull down the lever until it runs the best. That'll do :-)

If the engine starts you must have the carb adjusted reasonably right. Fine turning can be done when the engine is at operating temperature and you're driving on a straight level road in high gear. Screw in the needle until the engine starts to run bad, screw it out again until it also starts to run bad - then screw it back in until it's in between. That's your sweet spot :-)
On cold mornings you may start it easier with the needle out a quarter turn, then you can adjust it back in after it has run for a little while.

Motometers never touch the coolant - they measures the heat of the vapors above.

If you can touch the lower hose after a drive, then the radiator works and cools :-)
If you fill too much coolant it'll seek its own level - as long as the level is above the tubes, it'll work. There's a baffle in there that can make it hard to see the tubes, but mostly you can see them through the holes in the baffle - (if the level is too low..)
Some gurgling in the radiator after a drive is normal, but lots of steam and heavy boiling after normal driving indicates a problem.

Good luck and have fun :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Mark great story, absolutely love it!!! So get in her and go like He!!.
love it.
Roger that is probably the best advise. I had an old jeep one time and i did that exactly (trial and error)
Thing is i really like my T, the jeep i could care less. LOL
I do appreciate your help everyone and probably what your saying rRoger is that its not as sophisticated as I'm making it out to be.
Thanks
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

It is hard to imagine a more "organic" automotive operating experience than with a
T, or similar era car. The simplicity of the T design, and the "rawness" of how cars
functioned back then makes them little more than glorified go-karts in full 12":1' scale.
Outside of crashing one, what could really go wrong ? Drive it, pay attention to odd
noises and "feels", check 'em out, ask questions, and just fiddle-n-fuss and enjoy the
hell out of it ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Greg, Roger pretty much nailed it. Its amazing how each T has its own "sweet spots" as far as timing and fuel mixture go. For the longest time i just set my timing to almost full, and went on my way. But you would be amazed at the difference timing makes from first starting off, to cruising speed. Try starting out from a stop with the timing fairly retarded and increase it with speed till it runs smooth, you will probably find that your engine is much happier as you apply the clutch to take off. While at cruising speed adjust the fuel mixture as Roger described, and you can usually see a difference in the temp your motor runs at as well. Best of luck, this is the fun part and it just gets better..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Here's how to set timing: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG97.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Hey Steve.
Easy link to follow.
I guess I just was overthinking this car.lol.

I have most parts for my 26 coupe. I'm sure I'll have a much better understanding of the entire model t vehicle when I actually put one together myself. All my Ts have been running when I got them.
The 26 coupe will b the test.
Regards to all
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Actually Eric J.
That is a ver very good link .
It's been a while for me behind the wheel and this is a hell of a refresher.
Tks
Greg

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration