6 cylinder Ford Model T engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 6 cylinder Ford Model T engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

In Volume 30, Number 4 July-August 1995 copy of the Vintage Ford there is a story about a guy (Kirk W.) in Scottsdale Arizona that built a 6 cylinder T engine. The last paragraph in the story reads;

"With the "internals" installed and the other normal assembly completed, we were ready to see if our efforts had been successful. With a few turns, the engine came to life. It sounds great, runs strong-but sounds a lot like a Chevy!"

Was there ever any follow up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/402145.html?1384828700

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

Mike;
Thank you! :-) Reading the story, it just kinda ended...Great update.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Mike, Thanks for the link!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Kirk was an interesting guy. He left us way too early--RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

As I recall, the article in the VF was titled "The Joy of Six". Well read folks will get the joke. Incredible workmanship and engineering. This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Kirk was a great guy. We miss him very much. We provided the grind for his 12 lobe camshaft for the engine. We also had the pleasure of attending the 1ST annual speedster reunion with him at Speedway Motors in Lincoln Nebraska. I presented a history of Glover Ruckstell and the Ruckstell Axle at the meeting. Had a great time when Speedy Bill was still alive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

I don't know why he just didn't go for eight cylinders. Many cars in history have had straight eights. If you are going to have to lengthen a frame, go big.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:37 am:

My thoughts exactly...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Rumor has it that Ford did make an experimental Model T V8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Yeah, Ken, I have seen that before, My point was since Kirk was already going to use an inline design, why not just join two T blocks together in the fashion that he did to make a six. Making an inline eight would have made it sound like a Packard or a Pontiac. Ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

I don't think 8 fingers will fit in an Anderson time case. That might have been the reason he didn't merge two blocks together to make an I8. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Could not find or afford a "K" :-) and wanted to go through the process. The idea had been in the back of his mind for many years. If you have the story to read he put a LOT of hours into this project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

The Model T V8 pictured above was not made by Ford, it was made by a big dealer who was, I think, located in the Los Angeles area.

When Ford found out about it they told him to stop, and if he didn't, they would take away his Ford dealership franchise.

He did stop making them, but there is still one or two left, and at least one of them is in a museum somewhere.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Folks,
There is an original complete V8 like the one above that is hanging on a stand in the show room floor at Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in Ohio. The people there told me that Don Snyder used to start it and run it for customers. This thing is awesome!
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

I believe the one currently in Snyder's was originally on display at the Henry Ford until they had the auction in the eighties.

I seem to remember the engine being a Jensen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:57 am:

I wonder how much more powerful the v-8 was. Is there any documentation on its performance?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration