Hogs Head Oil Leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hogs Head Oil Leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

After installing the hogs head on my 24 tt I discovered oil leaking from some of the bolts. I tightened them up as much as I could but still had some leaking. This was happening while turning over the engine. I decided with the recommendation of my neighbor to put in a double gasket. The leaking stopped with the double gasket. I used no gasket sealers anywhere. There is no oil leaking from any other part of the oil pan. With the help of you guys I was able to time the engine properly and get it started today. A very happy occasion for this newbie.

Anyway .... oil is gushing from the round part of the hogs head where the felt strip is placed. I believe I placed it correctly at the time of installation. I noticed that there is a slight separation from the hogs head edge along the engine block. Could this be because of the double gasket I installed or is it just an alignment problem?

Thanks for your input.

Manny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

It's possible that a double stack of gaskets could be the cause. Leaking at the top of the hogshead at the circle over the block would mean the felt isn't sealing. IMO dry gaskets placed can leak. Using a good gasket sealer is the best way.

Ford Service book points out the corner of the block, pan, and hogshead should get a wick or stick of wax there. Using a dab of silicone is better, and for the felt, that should be coated with sealer too before install, as the dry felt won't stop a leak, it will fill with oil and then seep without a sealer. Soak the felt first in liquid sealer like Indian Head shellac, then fit.

Dab of silicone sealer at the corner, the felt presoaked in varnish/shellac, appears dry, but it isn't, but will dry and seal good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Here's a video on hogshead installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTvzA7QLbZ8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Be very careful when tightening the bolts around the hogs head. Especially the one closest to the engine as shown in the above picture. It is very easy to break off the corner of the hogs head. I like to start in the center and work out toward the ends on each side tightening a little at a time and then go back and tighten again similar to tightening the head only not as tight as head bolts. Use only one layer of gasket and trim the end of the felt so that it just meets the crankcase on each end. Use gasket sealer on both sides of the felt and on the gaskets. After you run the engine, you might find an area where there is a leak. If so, wash the area good first with mineral spirits and then with lacquer thinner. Then take some gasket sealer on your finger and try to force it into the seam between the hogs head and crankcase. Tighten up the bolts just a bit tighter. This will usually fix small leaks without having to pull everything down.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

I use 1 gasket set along with a thin coat of RTV gasket sealer when installing the transmission cover.
Also use the RTV to set the felt strip in place next to the block.

BEFORE putting the engine together its best to flatten out all the gasket surfaces along the engine pan. This 1st step will usually solve a majority of leaking around the bolt holes.

After the cover is installed using a thin coat of the black RTV along the transmission cover joints and corners will guaranty no leaks in the corners.
Works most every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

use the right stuff on everything it make my engine leak proof, now if only the transmission were bullet proof

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Thanks gentlemen .... off with the head in the morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:26 am:

I hate to see guys say the use RTV stuff, it's not all the same.. As Spencer said the Permatex Right Stuff is amazing BUT it sets up too fast for a Hogshead so a very same product with a longer working time is ULTRA BLACK. About the same as the old RTV but much better.

I used 1 gasket and NO Felt and NO LEAKS. You can be liberal with the sealant applying a nice 1/8 or larger bead. Apply a good amount in the corners and extra like a 1/4 bead over the area where the felt would normal sit. In my opinion the felt would only act as a wick for the oil used as original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Here's a good thread on the hogshead sealing issue: https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mtfca.com/discus/ messages/331880/365087.html%3F1370475998&ved=0ahUKEwj_seH4s9bJAhXC3iwKHaYuBYsQFg gdMAA&usg=AFQjCNGBBeGI1HNzIP4qlW0RjISk1y2bFA&sig2=TIzqOLJiPNWmt_gOdGKxUw

What we get today as a felt seal for the hogshead in the gasket sets isn't up to Ford's specifications, it's too thick. I split the felt strip to half its thickness and trim the length, then soak it in gasket cement like the Indian Head brand. Works fine, no leaks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration