Lubricating Ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lubricating Ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

There is a plug for filling the differential on the differential just below mid-way. There is another plug on the top of the worm gear case. It would appear to me that the plug on the worm gear case is unnecessary. Am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Harold, I assume you are talking about a TT Ruckstell? I always thought the upper plug was for filling the housing, until I tried it once. I guess it was just for putting in lube for the rear worm bearing. That's about all that gets it anyway. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Yes, David It is a 1926 TT with a Ruckstell and worm gear. I would think that the ring gear would pick up lubrication for the worm gear. Any oil put in through the top plug would only go to the bottom of the differential case as far as I can tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Good to know you're still with us, Harold! I've also had a question about the lubrication weight for my Dad's TT. Literature I saw said 600W. Where to find????
"Happy T-ing!" (Your line)
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:42 am:

Harold, I think that is for the initial fill for the rear worm bearing after repairs or changing the grease. I don't know that for a fact, but that's all that I can figure. Indeed, the lube will go to the bottom of the case from the top plug, but it takes FOREVER! I used a multigrade lube(85W140 I think), which is much more fluid than the 600W I think, and gave up and filled it from the mid way plug. I have never really heard what the original intention for the upper plug was, but the early TT's didn't have a plug there. Henry needed it for something and that is my best guess. Maybe someone else will chime in here and fill us in. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Marv
I have been away from T'ing for nearly a year due to my wife having two major surgeries and me having a heart attack. I just got the 26 TT out of the barn and fired up this week. I am doing a complete lubrication job now. The 600 W Oil is available from Mac's for $8.00 a quart. The item # is 16-16020-1. It is on page 216 of the current Mac'sCatalogue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Here is what is in my TT Ruckstell

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration