1912 Dash: is it pretty strong even with the steering slot cut out nearest tot he engine?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1912 Dash: is it pretty strong even with the steering slot cut out nearest tot he engine?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:13 am:

1912 Dash: is it pretty strong even with the steering slot cut out nearest to the engine?

I am putting on the old dash while the new dash has polyurethane drying. I then want to put the front end back together, then take off the old dash and put on the new dash without taking everything apart again. But will if I have too.

So is cutting the slot an acceptable thing to do?

Thank you in advanced.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:47 am:

The dash is strong because it is held secure by many bolts. IE steering column, firewall brackets, coil box, body brackets, side lamp brackets, etc. If the firewall for your car should have a slot for the steering column, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It makes assembly and disassembly a whole lot easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:54 am:

I don't care for the slot. To make firewall removal and installation easier I modify all of my T's by drilling the spark lever rivet hole to #35 AWG drill size. Then I tap it #6-32 NF. Install a screw, done!

Then you can easily remove the steering column by removing the pitman arm, the cotter pin from the throttle rod and the one screw from the spark lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:08 am:

The answer is, how many times are you going to have to remove the steering column? Lets keeps our T's as authentic as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

Royce's idea is a good one. I once worked on a 1911 T touring that had a small screw that held the spark lever on. Much easier to remove and install the steering column.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Think I be doing this as I pinned mine and has lots of slop still

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:13 am:

I like Royce's idea also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:41 am:

The slot at the steering column was standard Ford issue beginning in 1912. It was not something cut into the dash by dealers as per a widely spread rumor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:43 am:

I have a NOS 13/14 dash that has the cut in it. It also is made RH/LH. I know it is a NOS dash because I took it out of a FORD dealer in North TN that closed in 1929. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:16 am:

John R,

Original dashes have both mixture holes drilled RH/LH beginning in 1912. Without both being drilled the dash is not RH/LH.

Were there any dash drawings, or dashes supplied by Ford after 1912, that did not have these two mixture shaft holes shown or drilled?

-------

Dan - Does your NOS dash have both mixture holes in it?
I assume it does but was curious just the same.

Thanks

Ken in Texas

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration