Old Photo - Brass Era Tourabout With 1914 New York Plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Brass Era Tourabout With 1914 New York Plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Jay -- thank you for posting the nice photo of a Tourabout. According to Bruce (R.I.P.) at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1909.htm "Tourabout shown in Ford Times but not produced until July [1909], and then called “1910”cars."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

I see no pin striping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Gil,

Looking at other original 1910 tourabout photos I see no sign of pin striping on any of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Royce - Interesting. I thought all early Ts were striped. Obviously, I was wrong. Thanks for those pictures.

Gil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Notice the top irons look to be straight.
Also, the front top iron bracket at the front seat is straight.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Notice the top irons look to be straight.
Also, the front top iron bracket at the front seat is straight.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

In the first pic, what is that circular structure in the background?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Neat pictures!! I wonder if using one horse was a safety rather than chance tearing the T apart using a team?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

It's a natural gas storage tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Mike that is a gas storage facility. It goes up and down inside the frame depending on how much gas is in there. I think the one in the picture is somewhere in Queens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Mike,

It's a gas collector for a gas works. In those days coal was "coked" to make city gas and the gas was stored in expandable bladder gas collectors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Interesting how thin (vertical height) those bottom seat cushions look to be in the photos where you can see them.

In the second photo of Jack he looks to be wearing goggles and a helmet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Notice the difference in the back seat of the T by the boat, and the others. The shape of the boat T appears totally different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

It makes me wander if someone took the top and mother-n-law seat off of a roadster and added some other seat to haul more people.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Royce, thanks for sharing all those wonderful pictures. It looks like maybe snow is still on the ground in the 1st one, must be spring because none of the girls have any gloves on. The 4th one down, you get to love that hat on the lady, probably they didn't set any land speed records while driving.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

Both the first picture posted by Jay and the pictures of the car with Jack at the wheel have the same top and top irons. The same top is shown in this photo of #904:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

they seam the same but no laching irons on the tour abouts. to bad the top cover got replaced about 30 years ago on 904 there were what looks like some holes in the edge at the frt. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

Royce,

I noticed the rear vertical irons have the little brass pieces on the front and rear sides. These were fastened to the iron with four brass slotted screws. They were for aligning the top irons while folded. One had a ball and the matching iron had a socket that fit together. They are not on there now.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

robbie! if you are talking about 904 the irons have been replaced with bow legged ones.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:48 am:

Charley,
I am referring about the original straight irons. I know they were replaced with bow legged irons recently.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Robbie I have no idea where those nesting pieces might be......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Royce,
It's ok, I have several of them. I was thinking they didn't have them originally but it appears as though they did.

Thanks,
Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

maybe they are on the new top??? charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration