TT steel cab

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: TT steel cab
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth LeBlanc on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

does anyone have a set of plans for the wood work in the roof of a TT steel enclosed cab Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Might look at the 28/29 model A answer AA truck cab as that what I used for a pattern on the one I did

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

I don't have plans but do have some pictures. The steel cab wood is fairly basic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:10 am:

Looking good, Justin!
Checked the Fordwood site and didn't find anything similar to the TT. Ken, take a look at Justin's pictures, then grab your stepladder and measuring tape. (Enjoy your project!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:03 am:

Kenneth, when I saw this thread, I thought, "Why not just buy a kit? They aren't that expensive." After some thought, I checked Lang's, and lo and behold, they aren't listed any more. The kit for the "C" cabs are, but not the closed cabs. When did these kits become not available? I was pretty sure they used to be listed with most all of the vendors, and were pretty reasonable in price. Am I wrong? I haven't checked any other vendors, but I was surprised they aren't listed in Lang's. There isn't much to them, should be pretty easy for someone to reproduce I would think. Anyone know what happened? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:14 am:

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings if made by someone here but the kit that was sold several years ago (~2007?) was just that--A "kit". It was pretty rough and needed a lot of work to get the tops even and a presentable bottom on the inside. It certainly wasn't a bolt-on finished product. It was basically a box of 3/4x3/4" sticks.

Someone with some basic wood skills and a few tools can make them. The radius needed can be picked up off the cab itself. (Above the door)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Ken, the wood that is pictured above was on a cab that came with the chassis that I purchased for my C cab. The wood was installed when I got it and it was okay but would have taken some work to make presentable. It may have been one of the kits that you are referring to. I agree that someone with basic skills can make this top wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Not to deviate from Ken's thread, but in looking at the photos I thought of another question.... The two holes on the 'A' pillar on each side above the middle hinge: "What/Why?" My Dad's TT also has them. Were they meant for cowl lights of some sort, or what?
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Yep Marv, cowl lights. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

The cowl lights mount below the hinge. The two holes above the hinge are for the door strap footman loop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Just went out and checked the TT. There are holes on each side of the middle hinge (for cowl lights?) and the footman strap-loop holes are above the hinge. Never having seen any cowl lights on the closed steel cab we have here is the reason for my question. Have often seen them on the wood bodies. Factory? After-market? What's correct? Burger, are you there? Thx.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

You are correct Marv. The cowl light bracket is supposed to straddle the hinge. I forgot that the lights in my pic were positioned by someone else.

Here's an old picture of a truck missing a lamp with the bracket in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

A closer view:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

My mistake Marv. I learn something new on here all of the time. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Sorry for the slow response. After this windstorm we got, I have been working 12 hour days, 7 days
a week. My brain is numb.

As far as I know, my 26 roof is largely unmolested beyond probably having the top fabric replaced.
If I can take a pic of measurements of anything in particular, just ask.

Here are a couple pix of the truck showing the cowl lamps:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:33 am:

My question turned out NOT being a mystery after all. Thanks, guys!!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:27 am:

Here is one done with curly maple.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Am appreciating your thoughtful creativity with the wood! With my Dad's TT, I've been trying to imagine something like what you've done. (And, it is fun to 'think-outside-the-box'!) Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Paul on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Actually, the inside of the roof should be covered with white muslin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth LeBlanc on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Thanks for all the pictures they will help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

Robt.,

Was your truck originally so colorful ? Many commercial trucks rec'd colorful custom
paint jobs to advertise the business. Is there a good story here ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:05 am:

This truck belongs to Jim Weymouth of Grass Lake, Michigan. I helped him go through this one and I bought my first T a year later. Being a commercial truck does give liberty on color, it is done in Gulf Oil colors , he has a manely crane but has not restored it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Robert, both trucks look great. Am I seeing things or are the rear felloes and rims on the red truck reversed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:56 am:

White muslin? Mine is black. When I got the truck, most of the top bows were broken and held together with wire. I ripped wood to correct size and laid in bath tub used to water cows with concrete block on them for several days. Cut to correct length while wet and bolted in place. Once dried, they retained proper bow. The perimeter pieces were easy--secure one end with bolt, and keep bending, drilling and bolting to lay it along. Then black muslin was stretched over top and stapled to edges, then chicken wire, then cotton batting, then top material, then trimmed with "hidem welt". Lots easier than installing a touring top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Justin good call. Not the way I would do it as changing a tire is much different. Jim and I have been building a Hatz Bi-Plane for a number of years and he has restored an number of planes and many hot rods. He is all about fit and finish and restores for himself. When he disassembled his wheels he reversed the hub so he would not see the lug nuts on the outside. One of his creations is modifiying trailer fenders for the back, he cut them to make them narrow and rivited the inner lip back on with 5/16 rivits. He profiled the front and back of the fender. It retains a vintage look, if I can find some pictures of them up close I will post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:47 am:

The wheels definitely look cleaner that way and really, how many tires does a TT owner expect to change? I also noticed how nice and new the rear fenders on the Gulf truck looked. Now I see why. Thanks for the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Here is the rear fender....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Two more.........

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration