Need YOUR input. Period Correct Shop Coats and Others

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need YOUR input. Period Correct Shop Coats and Others
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Hey I have a designer friend who can custom design and custom fit just about any clothing you can dream up. I was telling her that period correct men's clothing is hard to find and shop coats don't really exist. She is able and willing to design and produce custom fit shop coats to start out with. I need to know if there is any interest out there for it? Your input for anything period correct will be considered and is completely doable at a very minimal cost. Talk to me, this is a very rare opportunity to cater to the Model T men's clothing period. Thank you !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

I think the is real do-able. Consider what the prices would be. I would make them to order. You will need a sheet for the customer to size themselves. I for one have been trying to find those 1920's jersey cloth two piece swimming suits. Now that gravity has taken my svelte body and turned it into a blob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

I would love to see what you come up with on a shop coat. We have been looking for one to sell at the museum for a while. I have also looked to no avail for an old time driving coat like the ones drivers wore when cars first appeared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/521039.html?1424844170

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

For a price comparison, you may wish to do a search on ebay for: shop coat, lab coat, and mechanic coat. You can sort by price. Lots of options available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Jerry, I've given Kim your GMAIL email address and she will get in contact with you through that. I hope its all ok with you? db

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/radium-hot-springs-pools-radium-hot-springs?selec t=i9tyDIFA_rhnqY_PVqrY-w

If you are looking for an old swim suit, just make a visit to Canada. My wife and I had a grand old time swimming here on our honeymoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Don, I think a period correct shop coat or driving coat would sell very well. The price would need to be reasonable, but high enough to make it worthwhile to keep making them. The museum and all the vendors should be interested also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

A few years ago I bought two supposedly period-correct shop coats, from a firm advertised in the magazine. Does the firm no longer exist, or are the coats not sufficiently period-correct to meet your needs?

I don't remember the name of the firm, but the label in the coat says, "Classic Shopcoat Made with pride in the USA For the Ford enthusiast"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 06:16 am:

Keep in mind you are not limited to the shop coat, that was just a suggestion by me. Any period correct clothing item could be developed. Also, it would help her out to have some pictures to go by when referring to the items. Thx !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:28 am:

I think it is a great idea. There is a demand and custom work can be very profitable. I would like to have shop coat and maybe a period outfit as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 08:51 am:

Peter - I bought the last Ford one that guy had. He told me he wasn't going to make them any more because he couldn't afford the licensing fee demanded by Ford to use the script on the back and buttons of the coat. Really a shame because the coat is beautifully made and very correct. The company was Vintage Shop Coats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 10:19 am:

A way around the licensing fee obstacle is to make generic shop coats with no brand. The buyer can have a patch of any brand made by a local embroidery shop. I doubt that a plague of lawyers will descend on a guy who has one or two patches made for his personal use, any more than they would go after an artist who includes a Ford in his painting.

When it comes to other articles of clothing, there's a choice to be made. Sunday-go-to-meetin', or work clothes? And in work clothes, of course, there's another choice among shop, office, farm, etc.

A search of Google images will show examples of clothes from various eras. Even in men's clothes, there's a considerable difference between 1910 and 1925. One thing that's constant is the presence of headgear. Styles shown in pictures between 1909 and 1927 may vary, but throughout the Model T era a man or boy who isn't wearing a cap or hat is pretty rare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Thanks Steve, the shop coat was a suggestion as to where to start. I doubt the logo would be included due to the cost. But it may be a beginning for other items down the road. Thanks again for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 10:49 am:

It's possible, of course, that Ford might be willing to work out a gentler arrangement with the Model T Museum as far as the logo is concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Gosh, I thought an old pair of Levis and a T shirt was period correct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Jeans yes, tee shirt no. Look at the old pictures. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Styles come and go but a comfortable pair of USA made Bibs are eternal!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:52 am:

I'm with Kenneth, American made Bibs are my daily wear. When I am out shopping with our T and I am in my bibs people come up to me in the store and ask "Is that your old car out there" My Reply is "How can you tell" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:54 am:

More or less correct brass era driving coats are already available. They're often sold as Western dusters.

I really like Steve Jelf's shop coat, but I'm not sure they were that commonly used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

My wife makes shop aprons for me out of denim or other heavy duty fabric.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

What do the people working in the Model T&A garage at the Village wear? Nope,Not the drivers just the mechanic's and wrecker crew? I hate to paint a ugly picture but my leg's are so short a shop coat on me would look like a dress and bruce jenner i ain't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Ken you need to wear something under it...just say'n !! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Morgan & Wright (Uniroyal) factory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

c1940 (from Etsy)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Sloma on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

I would be interested in purchasing a shop coat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Power on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

I also would be interested in buying one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

I want to order one. I wear XX. I will pay $100-165.00 for one with Ford logo on back. I want one that is made of light weight cotton. I live in Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

I'm receiving numerous requests for the coats. I have talked to Kim and she is ready to take custom orders. You should contact her at the following ...

Kim VanSicklen

kimvansicklen@hotmail.com

Her phone number is 239-994-3518

Thanks for the interest and your inputs !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

I have an original shop coat from the 30's or 40's with a Ford Logo on the back. It is white with red lettering. Says FORD SERVICE iirc. I can take a photo or would send it to her if she wants to check out how it was made, etc. It is a size way-too-small-for-me. I bought it 20 or 30 years ago at a Ford garage auction so I'm pretty sure it is not a reproduction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

BIG SMITH bibs fit me best. Bud, what kind are yours?? Jelf is so thin he can wear anything, you and me,,,,,,,,,,,not so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim VanSicklen on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Anyone that has expressed an interest in a Shop coat I have sent you a private message. Please contact me if your interested.
Thanks
Kim VanSicklen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

I too would be interested in a vintage shopcoat.

Just a note about logos - in Model T days Ford used a winged pyramid design rather than the blue oval used in the Model A era and later.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

I used to wear Oshkosh bibs until they went yuppie and quit making adult sizes. Since then, even when I weighed fifty pounds more than I do now, I've been wearing Round House. They're made in Okieland, and come in all sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Stan,I wear Round House and the Wife order's them on line.If there ever was a salesman for bib's it would be Steve as he look's comfortable in them!!Will there ever be more from Herman&Freida?? Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration