Head Lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Head Lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

I have a 1916 motor in my speedster and a 12 volt battery under the seat. I live in a busy urban area, with a lot of traffic. I rebuilt the engine and transmission including the magneto. I ran magneto lights for awhile, but hated the lights dimming at a stop light; so I bought a Texas T alternator and installed it on the engine. I changed the head lights over to 12 volts. My problem was I could not tell the difference in filaments from High or low. So I just lit up all the filaments on one wire from the switch on the dash. The ground is made through the frame and seems to work well. the lights are nice and bright. My question is: will the lights function with this set up or did I create a snafu?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

?
The filament in the center of the bulb is for the high beam and the off center filament is for low beam. The problem with currently available bulbs is they will be positioned sideways in a standard Ford headlamp - the low beam will point to the side instead of down to the pavement.
It's possible to cut the steel sleeve and drill another hole in the headlamp bucket to get the bulb positioned right - or you may be lucky and find vintage bulbs that works. Or you can position the bulbs so the low beam points towards the woods beside the road..
Using both filaments at the same time shouldn't be necessary - first try to focus the lamps with the screw in the back. Instructions can be found in the Ford service manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Thanks for replying Roger. It appears that there are two pin side by side and not one in the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Kevin, the filaments are the same in the 12 volt bulbs, same brightness.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Rick, So by hooking them all together; am I going to burn them out? I like the brightness of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

probably not.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Kevin, I did this for several years on my 26 coupe then had the idea to install bright driving lights on the front bumper and I now have dim and bright lights using the stock dash switch. I don't have a picture showing this.

Rick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration