Car no. 904 where are you?-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Car no. 904 where are you?-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Looks like it is not a two lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Don't forget that Ford later offered a conversion to single lever. This is probably one of those cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Great photo to make sure a restoration is correct. Bows are nice and straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

250,000 mi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got a bridge i would lie to sell to!!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

904 is in my garage! Not mine but a wonderful Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

The front socket / bow assembly has been replaced. Should be a "head knocker" with locking irons, should it not? That would explain why it takes a nosedive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 01:13 am:

Herb,
Thank you for posting.

Charley,
A Model K was reported to have over 220,000 miles in 1929. I think cars were driven many more miles than we suspect, with needed repairs and replacements made as necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 02:21 am:

Nice picture Herb!! Royce,I hope you have not removed the water pump! Was there any evidence that 904 was ever a two lever car?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 06:29 am:

Royce could you post a modern similar photo of the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Dave,

#839 is the last documented 2 lever. See the posting at where "How Many 2 levers were produced".

++++++++++++++++++++
Below is the comment by

By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 12:02 am:
I have kept track of all the 2 lever cars I could find information for the last 20 years. I count about 33 cars from #2 to #839. some are complete reproduction cars, some are engines only and some that were known in the 1960's have just disappeared.
C H Wills in the drafting department at Ford Motor Company, stated in various updates on 2 lever parts that most were to only be used on the first 500 and 750 cars. I suspect that there were only a few cars after car #750 that were made with the 2 lever control system. The only documented car above #750 is #838 which has a very interesting history as related by Lee Crenshaw.

++++++++++++++

From that same thread

By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 09:54 am:
Magneto / flywheel assy from 904. I believe this is the earliest known 3 pedal car. It does not show any signs of having been converted from a 2 lever / 2 pedal car.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That same thread shows 904 with some work being done. And Royce appears to have removed the water pump....it is shown sitting on the running board. (Ok -- we assume he put it back on later). It has the modified front top bow in that photo that it also had in the post card photo. And it is shown below:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:54 am:

I think this was #904 Royce had posted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Gary,

The green car you pictured, also in my garage, is a 1910 touring that belongs to the same guy who owns #904.

One of the enduring myths surrounding early Model T's is that the tops all had the lower bow position. #904's top shows no sign of ever being built any other way than the way it is today.

This is a very significant 1909 in that almost all the sheet metal on the car is original. The wooden body also is the original. The rear fenders are original. The splash aprons are original. When I had the engine apart the inspector date stamps are there on the transmission shaft 10 28 08 and 11 10 08. The transmission internals and engine internals are in outstanding original condition. I would guess the mileage on this car is more like 20,000, not 200,000 as the post card states.

Most of the "1909" Model T's that you encounter have at least a full compliment of reproduction sheet metal and a reproduction body. There are some 1909 Model T's that have not one part that was made in 1909 model year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Thanks Royce, I'll re-title the picture in my files

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Interesting. If there's one, there must have been more. Do you have any era photos showing a 1909 with a top like 904?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Since the build sheet does not exist for #904, there is no way to tell if 904 left Ford with a factory top. In the picture, the top sockets appear to be straight and not the typical dog leg style used on typical 1909-1910 cars. All the original pictures I've seen, show these cars with the dog log sockets. 904 is a great car with a documented history that goes way back in time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

am with Royce on the 20,000 mi. and i would think very good roads.we have all seen what the back roads in the mid-west can do to a car.ha,ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:15 am:

I did some research on the owner HG Switzer of Coleman, Texas.

Mr Henry G Switzer shows up in the 1930 census as being a real estate salesman born 1890. His wife is Ethel (or Ethal) Amanda Switzer born 1882. She had been married previously, and the couple had her son living with them. His name was Reginald Tom "Rex" Osborne Garrett.

They lived at 514 South Colorado Street in Coleman, TX. The house exists today but I have been unable to find an online image. So far I do not think any of these people had any living descendants.

The Switzer family leased part of their house to three other adults. They were two brothers and a sister named Coleman E Davis (Age 28), Earnest Davis (Age 30) and Georgia Davis age 28. I am researching these individuals to see if a living descendant exists.

Ethel Amanda (Hicks) Switzer died in 1970 and is buried in Coleman, Tx. It is unclear where Henry is buried, he appears to have died in 1968.

Rex Garrett died at age 76 and was buried in Longmount, Colorado in 1992. He had a brother who died at age two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Found a 2003 photo of the house which is a duplex. The RH side is 514 south Colorado street. The LH side is 516.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:29 pm:

Found the records in the Coleman Cemetery index. Ethel is buried with the family of her previous husband TE "Jack" Garrett.

MAP PAGE 7 - SECTIONS 8, 13, 28 & 33
Section 13 - lot 2:
GARRETT, Horace - Aug 23, 1885 - Oct 11, 1903 - "son of W. O. & D. A. Garrett"
GARRETT, T. E. "Jack", Jr - Sept 19, 1909 - Feb 4, 1911 - "son of Mr. & Mrs. T. E. Garrett"
GARRETT, T. E. - 1881 - 1920
SWITZER, Ethel Garrett - 1882 - 1970
GARRETT, W. O. - Jan 1, 1859 - July 30, 1932
GARRETT, Eudora (Brigham) - May 20,. 1863 - Sept 10, 1945

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration