Need info on front over the axle spring perches

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need info on front over the axle spring perches
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

I know how to tell if the under the axle spring perched are on the correct side. Are the over the axle spring perches for right or left and how does one tell as I have never seen the turning notch on any of the front over the axle spring perches.

I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

Steve, I believe the early perches have a radius on the back side where the wishbone is. If you take the nuts off the front and don't see a radius you should be good. Check this thread out. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/19767.html

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/68982.html?1223897681

This may answer some of your question.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Yes it makes sense. I believe there's some kind of like a chamfer on the inside of each respective perch for the radius arm to fit properly into. Thus designating right from left. Others might have more definitive info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

I did run into one at some time that had the chamfer cut on both sides. I didn't buy it. Don't have any idea on who, how, or why that was done. But generally, that is the easiest way to tell rights from lefts apart on the early over-the-axle perches.
I never have tried to remember most of the tricks offered on how to tell rights and lefts apart (like centering hole position toward front or rear?) for either the newer or earlier styles. I just hold them up and look at the angle between the shackle perch and the post/bolt/stem and automatically visualize the side. Really works best for me. Especially the time I found a later type that was bent so that it was nearly perfectly straight and realized its defect would cause steering geometry problems. I did use a tri-square to verify that the post was bent. I may still have that one somewhere?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Thanks guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Another thing to consider is the front radius rod. They are the same top and bottom when new, but after use, the studs can get bent which throws your caster off. So, if that's the case, flip it over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

The front of the perch is machined flat where the nut sits:

The rear of the perch is countersunk to clear the bevel on the wishbone ends:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration