Old Photo - Yes, We Have No Bananas!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Yes, We Have No Bananas!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

There's a fruit store on our street
It's run by a Greek
And he keeps good things to eat But you should hear him speak!
When you ask him anything, he never answers "no"
He just "yes"es you to death, and as he takes your dough He tells you
"Yes, we have no bananas
We have-a no bananas today
We've string beans, and onions
Cabbageses, and scallions,
And all sorts of fruit and say
We have an old fashioned tomato
A Long Island potato But yes, we have no bananas
We have no bananas today."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 08:13 am:

I found an old 78 rpm record in a 1015 jukebox I was restoring once that had Jerry Calonna singing that song...on the flip side was "Where Da Ya Work-a John"...still have that record...nothing to play it on, but I've still got the record just in case, along with a lot of Phil Harris too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 08:28 am:

I have the piano roll and it has been the favorite of all my grandchildren when they were little. they all know the words by heart!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Martin; I have a graphonola if you ever come to Jacksonville Fl bring it with you:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

They say our present bananas might become extinct because of a fungus which is killing the plants. This is happening in Southeast Asia and the Islands. It has not yet spread to central and south America, but if it does, they haven't yet found a way to stop it. So that song might become true everywhere!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

Val,
I will have to keep an eye out for that roll. I just got one that fits my family;"What'll we do on a Dew-Dew-Dewey Day?" Turns out my niece knows the song, her mom sang it to her as a child! (Her Mom's Dad was a Spike Jones aficionado & had all sorts of unusual songs in his record collection), so she was very happy to get the piano roll (I got her a copy too, as she also has a player piano).
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDd8shcLvHI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

Half of the Happiness Boys. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

I will attempt this without consulting Mr Google. My apologies for a few misspellings.

"Where do ya worka, John?
On the Delaware Lackawaun! (the Delaware Lackawaunee was a railroad/canal boat transportation company way back!)
Whata ya do a John?
I push, I push, I push.
Whata ya push a John?
I pusha the hand a truck.
Where do ya work a John?
The Delaware Lackawaun-awaun-awaun-awaum, the Delaware Lackawaun!"

There are several more verses, I know most of one of them.

I love those old songs. I have over 2000 78 rpm records, hundreds of songs from the era on tapes and CDs.
I even have a fantastic 78 of the "Dew Dew Dewy Day" Love 'em Love 'em Love 'em!!!!!

"All we do is go out walking!
When the sun shines bright and gay!
But what do we do?
What do we do?
On a dew dew dewy day.

All we do is lots of talking,
When the old folks are away.
But what do we do?
What do we do?
On a dew dew dewy day?
Do we laugh?
Do we play?
Do we hug just a little bit?
Kiss just a little bit? Boy! I'll say!"

Off the top of my pointed little head.
I will be singing both of those songs for days now.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration