**1919-1927 Magneto Coil Ring Assembly**

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: **1919-1927 Magneto Coil Ring Assembly**
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:53 am:

Here's part 2 of the Magneto assembly, please let me know if there is anything incorrect or if you see something missing. :-)

I don't think you can get the 3272 shim anymore for any of the vendors, but since it's apart of the original assembly I had to put it in.

I listed the coil rings starting with 1917 because they are single stack oval coils. Even though 1915 coils are also oval they are double stacked and they have no starter notch, so they don't fit this drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 05:06 am:

Just a thought? Maybe question, my opinion? But since it is attached under one of the mag-coil-ring bolts, maybe the oil-line tube and funnel should be included here? That does present a problem, however. Since there are two different versions in that era. A large and a smaller funnel versions, and they mount under different coil ring bolts.
Maybe you should just leave it out?
By the way, I don't usually thank you for all these that you do. But they are a good thing for the hobby and I do also appreciate what you do.
Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:59 am:

Thanks Martin,
Again a great drawing of a Model T part.
I was just wondering, What is the different between The 3250E and the 3250F part??
Thank you
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:17 am:

Andre, I have no idea at all, they appear in both the Ford catalogs and Lang's under those numbers.

Wayne, I thought about that too, then I thought I'd leave that off until I do the complete engine, since it's really an engine part anyway. I'm figuring by that time I'll have a complete set of coil rings, that I can swap out for different assembly years showing little things like that internal oiler and also the different types of external oilers as well.

The engine assembly though promises to be one of the more harder assemblies I've yet to do, there is just so many passages and little nooks and cranies here and there, that I'm sure it'll be a nightmare and will most likely involve more than one page depending on what's being installed where.

Currently I've got the transmission, starter, generator, an alternate set of Rocky's and Larry Smith's exhaust system in front of me now lots of stuff to do lots of work ahead and one hell of a lot of fun too, :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:14 am:

I believe the difference between 3250E and 3250F was only in the width of the copper in the windings, 1/4" vs 3/16". Ford probably saved a lot of money by eliminating 1/16" of material on 16 spools times several million cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:45 am:

I don't know how pure restorer's want to be but using the later oil line with the larger funnel is an improvement.
I don't think any of the vendors make the earlier small version.
What is available is the larger funnel type that can be used on all T's.

Showing the oil line would be necessary in an assembly drawing for the coil ring as its necessary for putting the engine together.

I did that once and noticed that it wasn't there and had to take everything apart again to install it. I had already shimmed the ring for the mag clearance and finally realized something didn't look right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

John K, Don't you hate it when that happens?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

You bet! I had already installed the transmission and after turning the engine on the engine stand I realized something was missing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 05:37 am:

Ok, I got to thinking about it some and came to the conclusion you're right John, that internal oiler should be in there but not as part of the coil assembly, it's a piece of the engine. Even so I put a part number on it anyway.

Problem is none of the vendors seem to be offering the smaller version funnel, only the later engine style, which is probably a good thing considering where and what it does. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Great work on your illustrations Martin. When I saw the earlier illustration it brought back memories of what I left out.
I remembered it I guess its because Iv'e been around these engines for many years. I'm certainly not an expert but I guess experience does help.

A new person trying to work on a T engine may not realize what leaving out the oil line would do.

I don't think it would be good.

Thanks for the good work that you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Martin,

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the tabs on 3272 should point out radially, overlapping the radius on the engine block and giving location and support to the felt gasket. As shown, they're positioning appears to be random.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Oops. Should read, "... their positioning...".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:57 am:

This Ford report has been posted before, but good ref. why vendor's don't make the small funnel oil line, its poor in getting oil up front.

Using the larger one is best, one part a judge won't see in early restored cars, but the motor will see the benefit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 12:12 am:

Ok, made a few changes...

Probably not necessary (some lines disappeared), but you know, what the hell...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 04:15 am:

Martin : In your drawing of dec. 20 the oil-line and funnel is [mounted] on the Engine block. But in reality first the Coil Ring is mount on the block, and then the oil-line and funnel.
Thanks for your nice drawing work!!!
Toon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Well, that would make sense from the standpoint of shimming the coil ring...but doesn't it sit behind the coil ring? Hmmm, I'll have to look some of my pictures again...thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

From elsewhere on the forum:

funnel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

The 3272 shim has 2 styles, the one shown and the other style that has the same notch on both sides, so the part can not be installed wrong or at least attempted to be installed wrong.

I have always suspected that the part has never been reproduced, due to the amount of waste material that would be left from cutting each piece, but like cookie cutting, some of the material could be used to cut the single shims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Your right Anthonie about the oil funnel location.
I had to look again to see that. Thanks again for the really professional drawing that you do Martin.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration