Warped heinze coil box switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Warped heinze coil box switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Blackburn on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Is there any way to fix a warped heinze coil box switch. This is the kind that fits the wood coil box for a 1912. I was thinking of trying to heat it up and then put it in a clamp? Has anyone ever tried this? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Kelly,

Can you post a photo? I'm thinking to just sand the backside flat. The switch body is bakelite, I believe. That's a thermoplastic that will not become workable with heat. It will break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Kelly-
I'm afraid you would break it. That bakelite is pretty fragile.

I had one that the front piece was slightly warped. I used some sand paper and gently dressed down the "high sides" so the two pieces fit well together. The slight amount of curvature on the front of the switch is not noticeable.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Breaking it, then gluing it with J B Weld may be the best repair. Once painted they can look really nice. I have done that with a couple of '14 to '16 bakelite switches as well as a few other antique things that had shrunk and warped. I even did that with a pot metal light/ignition switch that was considered completely beyond saving because it had shrunk and warped so badly. It has been working just fine on my boat-tail for several years now.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Kelly, I have done 4 of them with pretty good results. I made a couple of dies to use in the oven at very low heat. It takes a few hours. I'll do it for you if you send me your switch cover. No guarantee, but it has worked before. Kim Dobbins

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration