Old Photo - Brass Era Coca Cola Truck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Brass Era Coca Cola Truck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Chassis not like the Smith....anyone know what this is built from?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Appears to be no earlier than a 1916, but if I'm correct the first TT was not made until 17, and in that year only a few were sold it wasn't until 18 that the number reached in the 40k production level. I'm not sure if the steel cab was available until 18 or 19 but in 17 ford sold the TT chassis and you would have a cab made by the aftermarket companies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

That might be a car chassis with an auxiliary transmission and frame extension. This would lengthen the wheelbase about 12 inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Another Johnny Cash Ford. The headlights are 1916 or later, the front fenders are 1916 or earlier, and the rear fenders (if they're Ford) are 1914 or earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

I think it's earlier than 1916. My guess is that the electric lights were added later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

I wonder if that was the time period they were putting real cocaine in the drink

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

Will,
According to some sources, cocaine was used in Coca Cola from 1885 until sometime in 1903. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's what I could find.

Of course some sources deny that it was ever used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

It appears to have been made from a 1915-16 car chassis converted to a truck. Note the headlamp rims were also black on the late 1915 cars (ref page 2 of MTFCI judging standards which has Jun/Jul 1915 as the time frame for all black headlamps -- also Bruce's (R.I.P.) encyclopedia see the 1915 section at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#lamps ) The truck has the 1915-16 style louvered hood, headlamps, front fenders, as well as the electric horn button on the top of the steering column.

Note the frame can be seen and it is NOT the stock car frame. I believe it would be one of the "form a truck" frame kits but one that did NOT use the chain drive from the stock Ford rear axle to the truck rear axle.

One company that offered a Truck extension that did NOT use a chain drive was Jewett. From the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/385324.html?1379262560 Ed Baudoux posted (thank you Ed) the advertisement shown below:

And that same link has some excellent photos showing the chassis extension and rear axle that Stan Howe posted (thank you Stan) -- one of which is reposted below:

For John T. Ford USA did not start offering cabs with the Ton Truck chassis until Jan 1924 ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc24.htm for the C-Cab which was followed later by the enclosed cab.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration