Power Assisted Hand Cranking

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Power Assisted Hand Cranking
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Greetings All,

I just stumbled onto this video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2o1wvG4H04

I had to replay it several times as I could not believe what I was seeing.

Do any of you have a guess where this was filmed? I have never heard of a gizmo such as this. Could this have been an experimental setup to try out a new procedure?
The car does appear to have a starter, but perhaps no battery. I suppose that the battery was installed later but before the body was installed.

Lousy job on a rainy day or in the winter.

Nice images of a fresh chassis, anyway. Your input is invited. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

That is the Highland Park assembly plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

It's how Henry did it. It saved time and money somewhere along the line. I suspect it had something to do with putting a battery in to start it then pulling it back out to ship it. Just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

I think they started fordsons the same way? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

I noticed the tank was oval so it was in the twenties. In other videos I have seen them using floor mounted rollers. That was indoors, more like a real production line. This video was outside, so I doubt it was part of the main production line. IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

The cars are being moved by hand and chain, not driven. Are they really starting those engines, or just splashing the oil around for lubrication so they'll be ready to run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

The first car you see the worker adjust the levers for a start and run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Frank is right - guy is definitely setting the spark and throttle on the first car for starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

He leave the spark advanced as he pushes it forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Fascinating clip. Note the little lever. When the car hits it it releases the track and drops the car down for starting. Steve, in the beginning you can see the chain with dogs to pull the cars along. So this is on the moving assembly line. The car moves onto the inclined track and is released from the pull chain. They then push it into place where it drops down for starting, then the next dog picks up the car and moves it down the line!

It's almost like you are there!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

The cars have steel firewalls and a starter button on the frame. I didn't/couldn't see a battery but the method was also used later down the assembly line after the bodies were on. (As shown in factory photos.)

Perhaps the method was used to move the car to a different area of the assembly line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/183936.html?1295448559

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration