Introduction: New Model T Owner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Introduction: New Model T Owner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Monte Buck on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Hello,
I am the recent purchaser of a 1922 Model T Coupe. I purchased the car from the estate of my wife's grandfather. You can find him listed in the "In Memory" section of the most recent (NOV/DEC 2015) Vintage Ford: Jerry Sudbrock. I have always been a car nut but my interests have mostly been 1955 up Chevrolet. Around the time I married his granddaughter five years ago his health was failing and he was forced to sell his 1918 touring car because he could no longer crank it. I offered to help him maintain the coupe provided that he would teach me to drive it. I knew that I had a great opportunity to learn about something from someone who had a great deal of experience. I have been working on and driving the car for five years now and the last two have been the primary driver with his riding along. In September I had the privilege of leading his funeral procession in the car. he left the car to his three daughter's and they were unsure of what to do with the car, but were finding out that sharing wasn't going to work when they all had different ideas. I offered to purchase the car and keep it in the family and use it the same way he always had. I was fortunate that they agreed.

Christmas 2014 I was his Chauffer in the annual Christmas parade

Parked at the drive of the local veterans home; one of Jerry's favorite places to take the car

Christmas Parade 2015 My wife and daughter waiting for the parade to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M. Coleman - Grand Marais, MN on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Congratulations on so many levels!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Glad you are who you are, and that you went that route, especially taking the time with your wife's grandfather. I can relate. Congrats and welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

Glad that you signed in Monte.

Welcome to the Club.

Yours was a great solution to the vexing problems that arise when something is left to three people.
Congratulations to you for arriving at that solution!

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen banks on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

Great story! I'm sort of in the same boat. Still learning how to drive it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

Monte -- Congratulations and welcome. Thanks for sharing the story of how you got the car. Those early Coupes are cute as a bug! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Monte,

Welcome to the forum. I’m glad you were able to keep the car in the family. Having a connection like that often times adds a lot of special memories in the future.

Since you have been around the car for the last 5 years helping your grandfather-in-law (is that a word?) you may already have a good understanding of some of the safety issues. But if you would like a refresher, please take a look at the posting on Model T Safety at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/576808.html the second posting from the top.

Also I would recommend checking out the Model T chapters nearest to you. They are listed at: http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm and http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=15 It looks like your town is about is closer to the East side of Missouri so you may find a group in Illinois may be closer than one in Missouri.

Wishing you a Ford filled Christmas….

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Welcome, Monte. I'm sure that Jerry is pleased that you got the car. Welcome to the Forum.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

I see that Monte is in the home town of MMM. If you know who that is you're probably even older than I am. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

That IS a great story! Thank you for sharing and welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

The T disease is cunning and baffling and it seems has claimed another otherwise healthy mind. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Great little coupe and an even better back story!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Monte Buck on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. To answer a few questions I did make contact with the T Chapter that is just two towns south of my hometown and I went to their Christmas Banquet last Friday. I think they were excited to have some young blood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Its great to have some younger folks that love T's!

I got the T bug when my Grandfather left me his 24 Coupe in 1958.

I since restored it along with 2 more.

Don't be surprised Monte when you'll want another one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Monte,

Read John's post carefully and understand what is coming. I am told there is no cure. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Monte,

What a great story. Welcome to the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Monte, you might also want to think about dropping by the Vintage Ford Show at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis County next spring. I think it's probably in April. That would give you a chance to meet some of the members of the St. Louis chapter as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Welcome aboard!!

Great story to be cherished.

I'll share a bit for you as to the next chapter...

When I was '26 (in '76) I fell in love with a Model T leading a parade. (other sidebar, I was able to buy that exact car in 1995!) I then looked high and low to find one that would work with my budget and at that time that meant a barn find closed car with enough cash to buy it pronto when found :-)

The guy that sold it to me made me promise to attend at least one meeting of the local Model T club (Fox Valley, IL) A man of my word, I did and have never looked back even though I was the young blood at the time! Guys old enough to be my father and in a few cases my grandfather took to adopting me and sharing their knowledge, showing me things like pounding sheetmetal, steaming bows, or just have them ride by the house on Saturday to see if the garage door was up with me tinkering.

Awesome is the word to describe that time for me and where I also learned to ask first even as a sanity check. (I pulled a starter with Bendix still attached...surprisingly it came out without resistance...going in was a little tough but there was a sweet-spot where it clunked home (and took out some ribbon coil with it...haha) Collectively, this group took to wanting to stand around with coffee time to time, kibbitz about what I should be doing or how...and then I'd order up parts when needed and have them ready the following Saturday or so. Forever great-full. Old guys can rock with young blood....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Wonderful story, thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Hi Monte. Welcome! Our family has a similar story, but the car is a '66 Mustang ragtop. The grandfather bought it new. It ran for about 10 years, then sat for another 10. It was restored and the original owner drove it again. He left it to his sons - one of whom who had driven it to his senior prom. It has been kept in nearly perfect running condition for the ensuing years. The middle son's son also drove it to his senior prom. The not-so-subtle family hope is that is that someday a great-grandson will drive it to his senior prom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris George on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Neat story. Any pics of Jerry with the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 05:12 am:

Monte,
Great story. Thank you for sharing. I especially like the photo of your wife and daughter. If I can ever be of help to you please don't hesitate to ask.
Merry Christmas,
Brent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Monte Buck on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 08:40 am:

Chris George,
Yes I have some pictures of Jerry with the car, but none in digital form. I need to scan them or take pictures of the pictures.

And thanks to Hap for the safety links. Found some things I didn't know and read some stuff I needed reminded of.

I am hoping to take it on the road tour in Lebanon, MO next summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Monte

Good on ya ! May you own it as long as your grandfather in law did!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Welcome. You've joined a rewarding, potentially, lifelong hobby. T folks have a reputation for being helpful. Be sure to take advantage of the combined knowledge shared on this forum.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration