Old Photo - KLATZKIN'S MENS SHOP 189 SOUTH BROAD STREET 1923

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - KLATZKIN'S MENS SHOP 189 SOUTH BROAD STREET 1923
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:23 am:

OT, but I was intrigued by the sign for the "Cheney Master Instrument" and its claim that it played all records:

http://jtc.net/ctm/

:-)

(Message edited by cudaman on December 15, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Jay you come up with the best pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:45 am:

thanks for all the pics Jay thats the next best thing to a time machine!I wonder why the wash tubs on curb? I like that cast iron fence

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Paul - I'm wondering too! Actually, I'm pretty sure that those are the old copper wash boilers that used to be used for laundry. Now this is weird,....but something made me think of carrying out the old reddish colored ash and clinkers from the old coal-burning furnaces and dumping the ash in the potholes in the alley like they did when I was a kid in the Chicago area. I'm wondering if those are ashes that have been dumped in the street right next to the curb,....??? Anyway, another great photo Jay,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

Paul - I'm wondering too! Actually, I'm pretty sure that those are the old copper wash boilers that used to be used for laundry. Now this is weird,....but something made me think of carrying out the old reddish colored ash and clinkers from the old coal-burning furnaces and dumping the ash in the potholes in the alley like they did when I was a kid in the Chicago area. I'm wondering if those are ashes that have been dumped in the street right next to the curb,....??? Anyway, another great photo Jay,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Shoot! Showed my wife this photo, then thinking I had NOT posted it when she handed the laptop back to me, I did my famous "double post thing"! Sorry,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

No worries, Harold.
The phonograph would be great! I always wanted one that would play all the major records of the era. But I never got one, and doubt I ever will. I have seen several Brunswick phonographs set up for that. They have two tone arms, one with two reproducing heads on it. The Edison type diamond disc head and the standard angle/sharp needle head share a tone arm. The Pathe' saphire needle requires the separate tone arm for weight reasons in order to work okay.
Pathe' made records that ran clockwise, and they made records that ran counter-clockwise. SOME Pathe' phonographs had two tone arms, and would run either direction. I have only seen two of those myself. I had a Pathe' phonograph many years ago, but it only played the clockwise direction. All the records I ever had were clockwise also. I needed money for one of my cars, and took the phonograph and records I had to a swap meet, with a really high price. I was surprised when a phonograph collector came by and decided he wanted it a lot more than I did (I regretted selling as he walked away and ever since). I think the counter-clockwise records were mostly sold overseas. Pathe' was French.
As if collecting model T Fords wasn't enough.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:09 am:

The photo looks like it could be Philadelphia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:13 am:

I just researched it Larry and it's in Trenton.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration