Wichita or Tulsa area plating?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wichita or Tulsa area plating?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

One of the projects on my agenda is putting together a proper 1915 steering column. I do not love the idea of shipping spark and throttle rods across the country, so I wonder if anybody in the Wichita or Tulsa areas has had experience with a local plating shop. Have you had good results from one you can recommend? Have you had bad results from one I should avoid?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

United Plating Works in Tulsa has done a lot of cad plating for me. Always been happy with them. I couldn't tell from their web site what other coatings they do.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

This page has a list of their processes:

http://upwtulsa.com/uncategorized/our-processes/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Steve will need brass plating on his steering column rods. Brass isn't listed in their "processes."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Brass isn't listed, but there's a note saying ask if you don't see your "process", so I sent an email asking. We shall see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

About the only place I know of in Wichita is Metal Finishing, 1423 S. McLean Blvd. I've had them do a radiator neck in nickel but that's it. They had a building for custom work like this. I think it was called Robbie's Hobbies. I took it in all polished and it was brass (rather easy for them to do). I don't know if they are still in business or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

As I understand it nickel plating is done over brass so if a plater does nickel they should be able to do brass as it is a prior step in the nickel plating process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

IIRC the brass plating under nickel is not the bright brass plating we are looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

I thought that the plating layers are:
Copper
Nickel
Chrome

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Robbies Hobbies was still open last I knew:
http://www.dsifinishing.com/rh.html

Here is another shop that is good to work with,
but I don't know if they offer the finish you want:

http://www.infinitechfinishing.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Bill, copper, nickel, chrome is the plating order for a good job on steel. Brass parts I have stripped for re-plating do not appear to be copper plated first, so perhaps nickel is applied directly to polished brass.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

All the local places I checked said no brass plating. If I don't find a place to do it in Tulsa I may have to go to OKC or KC. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Hi Steve,
Have you investigated the Caswell plating kits?

http://www.caswellplating.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Not yet, but it may come to that. Wichita or Tulsa would be OK because I'd be going there for other things. But if there's no place any closer than OKC or KC, doing the job myself might be less expensive than taking it somewhere else.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration