Found photo of ancestor with auto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Found photo of ancestor with auto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bozovich on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Is it possible to identify the year of the auto shown?Ackerman Auto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

16?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

1915 or 1916

Seems the brass has been blacked out at the radiator, and neck and the trim on the side lamps if a '15, as that should be shiny. The 1916 lost the brass finish on those parts. Black paint was common to use to 'modernize' the 'teens Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

..and that fold out running board carrier is pretty neat accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Interesting aftermarket fenders. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

..plus the owner knew about crank handle comfort, appears this '15 has the 'coke bottle shape' alum handle for the crank that came on the earlier 1911 to the end of the 1914 models. The crank handle for the 1915 would be black cylinder of steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

1915-1916, but with 1917 or later fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Steve,
I don't think those are Ford fenders. I think David is correct, they're aftermarket fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

Those are accessory "crown " fenders, not stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/195025.html?1299188853

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Could the brass be blacked out because it was previously a Amish/Mennonite vehicle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

Could it have been a fixed wreck? The splash apron is boogered up at the rear.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:18 pm:

Ed,
I thought if it was Amish/Mennonite they'd pull it with a horse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

I am with Ed. The front of the aprons appear to be 15/16 bolted to the fender. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bozovich on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Thanks for all the details! Great-great grandpa was not Amish. It's interesting that it does not have stock fenders and that it might have been wrecked. He was not an aficionado as far as I know but would have just been proud to have owned an auto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Hey Mike,
These guys are great for pinning down information on a photo of a Ford T. The Amish comment was because the car is black (Amish do not drive cars even if they are black)
This car was repainted and it looks like they painted over the marker lamp lenses too. The radiator was probably painted to make it look newer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Old order Mennonites were called "Black-bumper Mennonites" because they blacked out the shiny trim on their cars. There was a barn find 1913 Runabout in the Horseless Carriage magazine that was found years back in Pennsylvania that had all its brass painted black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Page 19 of the Nov-Dec 1964 “Vintage Ford” Bruce McCalley stated, “It had been purchased originally by a “Black Bumper” Mennonite. This strict sect permits motorized transportation instead of the well-known “Pennsylvania Dutch” buggies, but only if any shiny metal is painted black to eliminate pretentiousness. That is why this car has its original brass radiator and lights painted black.”

original Post by Hap Tucker
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/71344.html?1226056705

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Mennonite radiator painting is a possibility, but I think it's a bit like when hearing hooves outside thinking zebras instead of horses :-)

Ford were a bit late following the styling trends - brass radiators and trim were getting out of style already in 1914, but Ford kept the brass radiator through the 1916 model year and by then it was really out of style. The owners of the Ford seems to have wanted it to be in style, maybe that's why the fenders were changed from the old fashioned original straight style - and the radiator painted. We can't tell if it originally was a 1915 or '16 model year car, since there were few differences more than brass headlight and side light rims in '15 while a '16 had black painted rims - but maybe this one originally had brass rims that were painted at the same time as the radiator? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

I see no electric horn button, so I'm going with blackened 1915. Along with the aftermarket fenders, I see no louvers on the hood, either.

It is curious that here is yet another period photo of a 1915 (or 16) car with neither a bulb horn, nor electric horn, but a hand "Klaxon" type horn mounted instead.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

To learn more about the Amish, click here.
https://youtu.be/lOfZLb33uCg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

He got a lot of paint on his white tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

There is an interesting steering column on this car and it may suggest January 1915 production. I don't have a 1915 so I may be all wet.

I can see it has a 1914 style brass quadrant with spark and throttle handles in the 1913/14 style. The spark handle is clear. The horn wire tube is there too but I don't see a button.

Bruce notes on page 226 of his Book:

"1915 and 1916 cars used the pressed-steel spark/throttle quadrant. The date the brass quadrant was discontinued is not known but is believed to have been in late 1914, with perhaps some overlapping when both types were used".

Since the horn wire tube is there, it pretty well rules out just a swap with a 1914 steering column. Brass quadrants with paddle type spark/throttle handles on some very early 1915 open cars.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 07:26 am:

Having been in an accident is a possibility. As stated earlier the splash apron is wrinkled, but not mentioned was the runningboard being changed or covered possibly with a wooden board?
What would be the purpose of that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 11:28 am:

When they put the top down, they failed to move the front bow forward. Also, the splash apron mentioned above is correctly called a splash shield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

It looks like the cowl lamp lenses are red.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration