FULL SERVICE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: FULL SERVICE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Thanksgiving weekend my sweetie and I went touring in our 1924 model T around Jacksonville, Texas.
We pulled into an old country gas station where three old guys were sitting around shooting the breeze. Not much business that day.
When they saw the old car pull in, their faces lit up as if they were kids again and all three came out to provide full service right next to their self service pump. One of the guys walked around the back of the car looking for the fuel cap. Another got his rag out and cleaned the windshield. They would have checked the oil if they could have found a dipstick. We filled up with about 6 gallons and were on our way. We made sure to honk every time we drove past their gas station that weekend.full service 1full service 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

I laughed out loud and long. Had the gas thing happen to me on the 11 Open Runabout. I know the guy who owns the station and a new guy came out to put the fuel in. I just told him to fill it up and walked in to talk to Randy. We watched quite a while laughing until the guy came in to ask where the gas cap was that was under the folded down top. I told him where it was and as he walked back out to fill it up I asked him to please check the oil. That was another good laugh. It's the small things in life that still crack my feeble mind up. Can't wait to have him fill up my 1919 490 Chevy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

NJ doesn't permit self-service gas stations. In my Model A days I used to enjoy pulling into a gas station with my '30 roadster and watch the guy try to unscrew the rumble seat step on the right rear fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Richard - have to ask, is there a trick with the gas cap placement and oil checking procedure on a Chev. 490? (haven't been close enough to one to study in detail)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Alan,

Great Thread !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Gas cap on my canopy 490 is under the seat. It's hard to pull the seat bottom even for me. There is a dip stick on the motor that's why I didn't bring that up. I wouldn't have pulled that on any gas station. The guy who owns this full service station is a good friend of mine as is the gas jockey. Dang I love Tennessee that they can still have some freedoms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

I am old enough to remember when there were a lot of full service stations. When I was in High School I drove a 49 Cadillac. The gas cap was under the left rear tail light. You had to press on the reflector to release the light to swivel up to get the gas cap. It was fun to pull into a full service station in the 70's and tell them to fill it up and then go into the station and watch them look for the gas cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Remember when full service stations would give away glasses with a fill-up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Do you remember gas wars? I can remember getting gas for 19.9 cents during one. The Caddy did not get the best gas millage but at that price I could fill the tank for less than $5.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Guess the guys aren't that old after all .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Thanks Frank...

In a galaxy far, far away there was a time that I was the youngest member of the Dallas T club, and that was by a good bit. I really don't want to be the old guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I worked at my family's gas station from 1976 to 1978, we were a "test market" station for self-serve, the nearby pumps were self, the outer ones full-service. Back then gas caps were stashed everywhere, under tail-lamps, behind license plates, and in the case of our '36 Dodge truck, inside the cab just in front of the seat riser. Fortunately I'd been around older cars a lot, and usually knew where to go--including pushing the round reflector in to flip the tail light housing!
Now hood latches---that's another subject!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

I am one of the younger ones at our local club. Most of the members seem to have bought their cars new. However, I do remember fueling up from one of those pumps with the two glass vessels and a hand pump on the front. You pump the gas into one of the vessels with the hose in your filler neck and when the fuel gets up to the 5 liter level it switches to the other vessel and the full one drains into the car by gravity. So I am getting older as I type.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration