Tan Gypsy Curtains and top boot fasteners how to install.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tan Gypsy Curtains and top boot fasteners how to install.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

I received my new tan canvas top boot and tan canvas gypsy curtains for the 1927 Sport Touring today. Very nice quality, but all the fasteners are in a bag. The top boot fasteners came with a tool to do them with. They are the Durable Stud type of fasteners and look simple enough to install. But the gypsy curtains use the Lift-A-Dot style of fasteners, that attach the Gypsy Curtains to the windshield post studs. Lang's sells a special tool (part # LIFT-ETOOL) to cut the holes and slots for the Lift-A Dot fasteners. It is a fairly expensive tool to just use to attach 10 fasteners with. So does anyone have one to sell or loan, and are there any suggestions on installing the fasteners to my very expensive Gypsy Curtains. Since I have never installed any of the fasteners, I thought it might be wise to ask. No pictures tonight, but If anyone needs pics of what I have Ill post some tomorrow ..... Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

On my 24 I used an Xacto knife to cut holes in the Colonial top material for the Lift A Dot and Murphy fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Install the male parts of the lift-the-dot fasteners (the pegs) first, then temporarily install the gypsy curtains exactly where you want them.

Then put a little dot of white-out on the end of each peg, and press the gypsy curtain material against the peg. This will leave a white dot on the curtain exactly where the center hole for the female fastener needs to be.

You can install the female parts of the fasteners onto the gypsy curtains without the special tool if you have a set of gasket punches. Pick a punch that cuts a small hole the same size as the center hole in the fastener, punch a hole at each white dot, then use a sharp X-Acto knife to cut four little slots around the center hole to match the four tabs on the fastener.

Then, sandwich the gypsy curtain material between the two parts of the female fastener, press them together, and use a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the tabs over. Finish tapping the tabs down with a small tack hammer.

If you don't have gasket punches, you might get by with a regular paper hole punch, but it will be hard on your hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Thanks , The studs are already installed on my windshield posts as the car came with a full set of side curtains. I assume the fasteners can not be installed on the gypsy curtains by the curtain manufacture as there are probably variations to the stud placement from car to car. I just have to get myself in a "mood" to attach them .. :-) I have wanted the tan canvas curtains and boot for a long time. I think the tan canvas is really the main item that "makes" a Sport Touring look like a Sport Touring. Thanks again ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

Mark is correct, that's worked many times, pretty easy with care. Just be sure to test stretch and fit to locate the position.

View of those curtains from earlier posts, but these are black :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Donnie -- I think I have a punch tool for the Lift-a-Dots. I'll check when I'm at the shop today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 08:49 am:

Mike, Thanks, that would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Any updates on this ^. Photos of the fished job etc?

I'm going to start on mine very soon and wondering if the gypsy curtains hook up nice. Also do they use the side curtain "hook" that's on the windshield post bolt?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Travis, I have not installed mine yet, so can not say how they fit. I still need to buy a lift-a-dot cutter tool. The new Gypsy curtains will not have the lift-a dot fasteners installed. The Gypsy curtains I have are for 26-27 Improved models only. The Improved Models do not have a "hook" on the pivot bolt like the earlier models have. There are several lift-a-dot studs on each windshield stanchion that the Gypsy curtains fasten to, and then there is a spring with a hook on it that fits into the top of the door where the side curtain rod fits. The spring keeps everything tight and allows the door to open. The regular Improved Model side curtains also attach to the same lift-a-dot studs on the windshield stanchions. Langs does sell some gypsy curtain style wind wings for the earlier models. They will mount differently than the 26-27 style. Ill try to post some pics when I get around to doing mine ..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration