Martin Vowell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Martin Vowell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

MTFCA and MTFCI tour participants are given many awards on tours for everything from the most authentic restoration to the member traveling the furtherest, to a hard luck trophy.

Martin Vowell's exploded drawings are nothing short of a original Ford factory blueprint and may even be better. Don Lang will apparently agree.

I would like to see Martin given something for his efforts like a lifetime membership from either or both clubs. Anyone so willing to share his talents, deserves to be rewarded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

If the club declines the lifetime membership, maybe those of us who appreciate his work could contribute to a fund to cover the cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Ask your directors,before you try and condemn them. I have only heard of one other case where they did something like this. The MTFCI won't act unless there is a club to sponsor it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

I don't see anything here condemning either club. I just posed this suggestion as a thought to reward to someone who is generously performing a very needed service which no one has attempted before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Terry,I agree Martin has done all of us a great service. I personally don't have any objection to your suggestion,but nothing can be done without going through the proper channels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Jack, I totally agree with you that this is a club issue to deal with and I am not on the board of either club. It was never my intention to ramrod this through to fruition, but rather to put it out there for the powers of each club to see that there are members who agree (or disagree).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 03:27 am:

I agree, Martin has done/is doing a heck of a service to the T hobby. I think this is a heck of a good idea. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 08:42 am:

If Martin reads this - odds are that will suffice.

Recognition from your peers is the highest compliment
that can be paid.

Kind words travel great distances.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 09:43 am:

His work is FANTASTIC, and I have said so on many occasions, again great work Martin!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Yes, I think Martin has done an outstanding job. I think we should all be great full that he has shared his talent with us. It certainly is a helpful addition to the hobby.

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Wait until you see Martins latest view of the late design exhaust pipes, and mufflers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 11:23 am:

It is always a pleasure to see what Martin has drawn. My thanks to him as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

I also enjoy his drawings that are very helpful. I spend hours with my jumbo Crayolas trying to stay between the lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

I concur ! Martins talent with engineering drawings is outstanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Ummm, thanks guys, I appreciate all your kind words, I didn't see this thread until George called me this morning about it.

I know you probably thought I was more than a bit crazy when I told you all at the outset, that my plan is to draw all the Model T's from 1909-1927 cars and commercial vehicles, Model TT included and then maybe speedsters too (not sure about that one though, since there's no regimented variation for one, it's pretty much like wheels, chassis, motor and gas tank on there somewhere and you've got a speedster no two are even remotely alike).

The only way to do this of course was to take one assembly at a time and draw all the variations of that one assembly that occur during the entire T production run. When you look at it that way, I'm really only drawing one cars worth of assemblies and the task becomes a lot less daunting. Because I'm taking one assembly at a time and drawing it, then looking at where it came from and where it ends up in the finishing years. The differences between the years is usually slight, so I am able to use 60% 90% of whichever assembly I drew first for all the subsequent assemblies of that item that followed. There are a few exception, sure, but for the most part, I get to see and (hopefully) show the evolution of the thinking that went into the Model T Ford, and guys...that's exciting part of this!

With a few to several (depending upon how I break them out) more assemblies, I should have the running chassis for years 1909-1927 complete. Then it's onto Body and Wood structures, after that then onto Interior, Upholstery and Tops for open cars.

So you guys are going to be seeing a whole hell of a lot of drawings coming from me. Because no matter what I use for my source information, there always seems to be more variations of any one assembly than I had at first thought to be.
Case in point, switches...I started with my switch (of course), then Steve Jelf showed me pictures of what he thought was a 1915 switch, but turned out to be a 1917 or 18 switch, then there was the discussion of what plate went on which switch and then we came back to the later switch and led to non-starter cars and non-electric cars that don't have the ammeter in them, and then there was the switch differences for the "Improved" car too (it was a convoluted path). By the time I was done with switches, I had 9 different assemblies where I had thought there would only be 3. And this happens more often than not with every bloody aspect of this car.
John Regan told me once that it was impossible to label any one car to a given year since changes happened on the cars almost (and sometimes literally did) from hour to hour and minute to minute and also depending on which plant built what when. The only way round any of this is to overlap the years, which leaves you to figure out what was or is supposed to be in or on your car. All I'm doing is showing how it went (hopefully) together.
Here's the thing guys, I wouldn't have known any of that without you guys here on the forum. Your combined expertise on whichever cars you own has been a tremendous help to me and my little project. So if any awards needs to be handed out to anybody, it should be handed out to all of you, without you, I wouldn't have been able to draw what I have drawn or will be able to draw in the future...you guys are the BEST damn proof reading crew I've ever worked with, nothing and I do mean nothing gets by you guys ever...which is good for me and good for the hobby too.

Thank you all for you help and your appreciation of my art.

Hope you all have a really Merry Christmas and a very Splendid New Year!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration