OT - Henry Ford's Model K, new information

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Henry Ford's Model K, new information
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 12:07 am:

This is a continuation of a thread a short time ago about Henry Ford's personal Model K. At that time a period newspaper photo of the car, along with interview information were listed:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/591710.html?1449504073
Mr. And Mrs. Louis Scott Oral History link, THF:
http://cdm15889.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/getdownloaditem/collection/p15889coll2/id/16371/type/compoundobject/show/58/cpdtype/document-pdf/filename/16363.pdfpage/width/0/height/0/mapsto/pdf/filesize/0/title/ScottReminiscences%2058

Louis Scott transcript mentioning Henry Ford's personal Model K:

(courtesy of THF, all rights apply)

Mr. Scott says the Ford "K" was maroon, with blue wheels, and that he (Scott) believed it was the same Model K at the Village (THF).

Today, two of Australian forum members sent me the photos below of the Model K at The Henry Ford, when it was on display several years ago. The car is clearly blue, with cream undercarriage. However, look at the color under the body (bottom of the back seat) where the repaint did not cover:

Closeup:

The Henry Ford files indicate this Model K arrived prior to 1929. However, little else is known about it, as far as I am aware. It appears to me the car was originally maroon, judging from the underside of the car. Maroon is not a color I've encountered on period reports of Model K, although it was a color Ford Motor Co. used on the Model N.

I think further investigation is warranted, and that there is a possibility this is Henry Ford's personal Model K.

Hopefully we will learn more about what may be a significant car at the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:37 am:

It has been reported that Henry had his model K sold in the early '20s (about '23 if I recall correctly). It was only about two years later that he instructed his people to go out and find him a model K as he began building toward his museum.
Is it possible that they bought back his own car? Could it have been painted by the interim owner? Or was this car painted after his people bought it? This does need to be researched more.
Is it possible that selling his car was what lead him to thinking about his posterity? And in turn building Greenfield? Regardless, this is and has been an important piece of the collection for a long time. But if it is the car that lead to the building of the Greenfield collection? It would be one of the most important pieces in the collection.
Thanks Rob!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Wayne,
Touching on a few things. We have correspondence between Henry Ford's personal secretary and a former branch manager (then a Wills St. Clair dealer) in 1922 in which Henry Ford is already attempting to locate a Model K:

In a 1923 biography, Henry Ford is reported saying that he sold his last (my term) Model K a few years before, and that it was still running:

It may be that Ford reached out and bought his own car back. At least that appears to be what Louis Scott implies in his 1954 interview.

I would say if there are blue paint traces on the wheels and/or chassis (other than the later paint job), and any hint of gold striping, we have a fairly compelling argument that this was indeed Henry Ford's personal Model K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Was it engine number 999?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Thomas,
This is what little I know of the Model K at the museum, along with a separate engine. I believe the engine was sold on one of the museum sales, but not for sure.

Fortunately, in this case, the body/chassis (and original colors) are probably more important to proving or disproving if it's the same car described by Mr. Louis. From notes by a longtime Model K collector, documented in the 1980s:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration