Chasing Classic Cars. Model T house car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Chasing Classic Cars. Model T house car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Just watched episode with Model T House Car. He said that it was made by Ford. I have serious doubts about that. Had advertising on it about a lumber company. I bet he paid big bucks for it. Anyone think it was built by Ford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Ford made the car, not the house. The customer would buy a chassis from Ford and make the body for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 10:12 am:

I owned a house car.

A 1925 Chevy that was on a one ton truck chassis.

I did extensive research on house cars as a result.

Just about every one built was custom done at independent wood worker shops - usually on the East Coast.

That accounts for the many unique examples you find images of today.

I sold mine to the GM Heritage Museum with the promise they would keep it in their permanent collection.

They replicated the original body in aluminum & sold it at the January Barrett Jackson Auction in Scottsdale a few years later to Ron Pratte who had previously bought on of the GM Futureliner buses.

That was my introduction to museums ....

That lesson has stuck with me over the years.

It is a big part of my appreciation of the MTFCA Museum in Richmond, IN.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Wondering if that Futureliner was the one recently completely rebuilt on the TV show Bitchen' Rides. (I hate that title). As to the actions of museums they seem to do whatever they think is necessary as far as making money and display room is concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Charlie - Ref. your comment about the TV show title, "Bitchen' Rides",.......

Should keep my mouth shut I suppose, but think I'll sorta' "back you up" a bit on that comment:

Back in the '90's when I was still working, our boss was a really nice guy from Southern California. He came up to Seattle here for a staff meeting and put on a presentation for us Pacific Northwest guys. He kept using that same term, that I since personally decided must be a Southern California thing,.....everything was "a really bitchen' this, or a really bitchen' that,.....etc, etc.

When I got a chance, I took him aside and told him,.....you know Brian, I guess maybe that's some kinda' "cool talk" in the L.A. area where you're from, but I just thought I'd let you know that to us guys up here in the PNW, you sound like a real jerk!

He looked at me with a kind of stupid, surprised look and said, "oh, really?" He never said any more to me about it, but we never heard him use that term again. Of course, I've heard the term occasionally since then, but it always seems to be used by somebody from,..."you know where"!

Really an "OT" comment, but just couldn't resist, 'cause I really hate that too Charlie,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Bitchin' post Harold!! Sorry, just had to :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Gary - Okay, I guess I asked for that, huh? You sound like one a' dem punks that hang 'round the 'hood there in Quito!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

(Laughing) Growing up in San Jose CA in the '60s, that word was around. Some people used it a lot. Most never used it. The Bay Area seamed to be the defining line. Most of the people I knew that used it had Southern Califunny connections. I probably have said it three times in my life! Content made it required.
Thanks all!

I have only barely seen that show a couple times. Would be curious to see this episode however? Or pictures of the house car? I have seen many, but have no idea which one they may be fooling with.
Yes, most housecars built way back in the era were one-off customs. Some were offered and built by companies that tried to specialize in them. Some originals of both types do survive.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration