1926 Coupe firewall removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Coupe firewall removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Hi everyone. I

I am in the process of doing all the rust repair and bodywork on my 1926 coupe. It has a large dent in the center of the firewall, which I'm assuming was put there to get easier access to the head bolts.

I am considering drilling out the cowl banding rivets and removing the firewall to work on it off the car, but I'm concerned about the rigidity of the body without the firewall. I have removed the top and the body is off the frame.

Is removing the firewall a bad idea?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Go for it.If it collaspes,you were wasting time anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Is the gas tank out? If the dent is that big it might have damaged the gas tank and you don't want to find that later. I would pull the tank out to check that then work on the firewall from inside the body.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Go for it, I replaced the whole cowl, someone moved it back a inch or so, and then molded it smooth. I then removed the firewall, and then placed it back in. There are rivets, and spot welds.

Pat

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration