Valve Pin Size?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Valve Pin Size?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Could someone tell me the diameter and length of the Model T valve pins?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

They cost .25 each - why not just buy some?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3057.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

I have some A2 drill rod, so I thought I'd save the postage.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

.106 od
.563 long

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Thanks Andy!

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

I have 7/64" (.109375) and 3/32" (.09375) rod. Would one of those sizes work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Make sure those pins are HARDENED. It's surprising how quick they can wear thru and you'll be limping in on two cylinders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Use a 7/64" drill bit and cut the shank off.
I found the repro ones sold a few years back to be awful - they would break after about 500km of driving. Thus, I know the 2 cylinder routine well!
You could easily notch them with side cutters, so were obviously not hardened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Ditto on the poor quality repo ones. Use drill rod and harden it.

Ford spec is 7/64" X 17/32"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 07:50 am:

There was a problem with valve pins several years ago. The ones being made were soft and didn't last. The valve pins currently being sold by Lang's are hardened. I don't know what any of the other suppliers are selling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

I have usually just cut the closest fitting nails I had handy to length to fit the spring cup. Usually, that seems to work just fine.
One time, it didn't work so well. I have no idea why, but one of the nails I used was too hard. After only a few hundred miles, not one, but three of the pins BROKE under the strain of those really strong stock model T springs. Fractures were in the center of the valve stem and pin parts worked out. I actually completed a tour and drove home by carefully placing two halves into the valve stems.
Because I wasn't sure what nails were which or how many pins? I more carefully chose a couple different nails, and replaced all of the pins. That all happened about forty years ago, and I haven't had that problem since.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration