Old Photo - Sinclair Gas Filling Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Sinclair Gas Filling Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:01 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:37 am:

I always thought Sinclair was out of business, but on a recent trip out west I found several Sinclair stations. Some even had the Sinclair Dino displayed. These statues were small. We had one in Florida in the 70's that the station was built inside the dinosaur. The head was probably 50 feet off the ground.

I think Sinclair no longer operates in the East.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:41 am:

https://www.sinclairoil.com/about

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:47 am:

That picture really reminds me of a building in Picaboo, Idaho! South of Sun Valley in Southern Idaho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Bud: In 1949 thru 1953 my Dad had a small "Mom and Pop Store on Hwy 60 East of Mansfield, Missouri at place called Macomb Junction and he had Sinclair Gas products. The first pumps were the tall glass bowls pumps. Then when the new low profile lighted one were installed we thought we were in Heaven. Gas was about I guess 18 to 20 cents a gallon. Those were the days that oil was in the tall quart jars with the long pouring spout, oh and the pumps did not have the auto shut off. You had to be careful or you had gas on the ground and on the side of the car and you wiped it off with water and paper towels. Been there done that!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Added message-- Our pump's looked like the one in the above post and our sign had Dino on it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

I've always liked Sinclair petroliana. I remember them when I was a kid and I guess maybe because of the dinosaur. They have all disappeared around here, but I was kinda glad when I heard they were still in business in other parts of the country.

As a side note, I was telling a friend that I really liked Sinclair stuff and he got this big smile on his face. Seems when he was a kid, he stumbled upon his fathers stash of girly magazines and there was a picture of a scantily clad (Or probably worse) woman posing with one of the dinosaurs they used to have in front of the Sinclair stations. He said he thinks of that every time he sees anything Sinclair related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

I've never bothered to look for a picture of that big Sinclair dino I mentioned in an earlier post, but this thread prompted me to look for it and wa - la !

Gas Station Dinosaur

The Harold's Auto dinosaur was originally a Sinclair gas station in 1964, inspired by the Sinclair Oil mascot prominently featured in ads and on signs since 1930. Near Weeki Wachee Springs, it shares a short stretch of Rt. 19 in Spring Hill, Florida with the Pink Dinosaur a few miles South. Dino, an "Apatosaurus," stands 47 feet tall and is 110 feet long.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration