Drum Balancing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Drum Balancing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:15 am:

I am in the process of rebuilding my transmission and am wondering what creative methods some have come up with to make the mandrels to hold the drums in order to static balance them on a knife edge frame. I do all sorts of metalwork but I do not have a lathe. The mandrels in Mike Bender's video look to be specific to each drum and made as a precision slip fit. Very nice, but I need a more home brew approach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:19 am:

http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/alignment.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 11:26 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/408632.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

This is NOT the best way to do it. A bit tricky, but works.
Make a double "knife edge" with the two edges about 3/4 inch apart. It can be as simple as a couple VERY straight cut pieces of sheet steel about six inches long and three pieces of wood (only the 3/4 middle needs to be nice) all nailed together. Balance the drums on the edges (this is the tricky part, only one drum will balance easily). You can quickly determine where any heavy sides are.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

I have a setup very much like the photo in Ed's 2nd post above. I used a one inch shaft and cones from a brake lathe. I'm really pleased with how well it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

This is my Sunstrand - I believe I have mandrels for every part of a Model T that rotates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Yeah, my Sundstrand is like Steve Tomaso's. They're handled by a different brand now but replacement parts are available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I have no problem making the knife edge stand. The mandrel shafts and/or cones are what have me held up. Can any one post a picture of the brake lathe cones? I tried to play my Transmission Rebuild DVD tonight to see what Milt used, but the darn disc is messed up about half way through on disc 1... So I can't see the balancing part of the presentation. Having mandrels made at a machine shop would cost too much for such occasional use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

Any more info?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Why not just send them to someone that can balance them and not try to make some half-fast mandrels. :-)

Otherwise, why bother. The mandrels have to be true also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Being on the east coast, I would send them to j and m along with the triple gears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

If your local juco has a machine shop, maybe one of the students would like to get some practical experience making some mandrels for you. Since I took a machine class a couple of years ago the teacher lets me use the equipment occasionally when I need to make something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Thanks Steve. One of my neighbors is retired and has a lathe. He is making me a set of precision cones to fit a length of 3/4" drill rod. The cones will do both drums. I'll post some pictures when we get done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Ok, I've been convinced that balancing my drums has merit. So I've arranged to borrow a balancing stand from Erik Barrett but have had a flash of inspiration. Why not make a dynamic balancing machine? So since I have no deadline for reassembling my T engine I will build a dynamic balancer based loosely on Tom Carnegie's brilliant low cost balancing machine.

Utilizing Tom's genius and my frugality and lack of spare model T blocks I've figured how to do the deed. I will be able to balance drums, whole transmission and crankshaft with my version of the Carnegie machine if all works well. If folks are interested I will show my progress on this job.

This makes perfect sense to build a machine to do this work on a car I bought for $5 over 20 years ago. Well perhaps I will buy another model T to justify the investment of scrap metal, floor space, and time in the building of this machine.

Does anyone have a shabby brass touring or TT chassis needing engine rebuild for sale?

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Interesting, indeed. Keep us posted.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration