Foot feed -Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Foot feed -Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

I found this and was told it was a foot feed [accelerator] I have no idea how it works ,I can see it rides in one of the bars ,[gas most likely] Question ,does any one knows where I can find info on this parts on how it installs.
and is it complete ?
Thank You all for the help ,past and present
Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Here is one installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

I believe the answer is yes, there's more to it. I think what you have is just the under-hood part, with the pedal and the linkage to it missing. I expect it also needs a return sprung.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

My T came with a model A accelerator pedal in combo with the oem lever. I only use the pedal in reverse. Other than that I use the lever. It just seems natural to use the lever and very unnatural to push down on the accelerator and low gear at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

I, too, think that a foot feed in a stock T may feel odd. I understand that many Ruckstell owners add a foot feed to assist with shifting, especially out of Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

A foot feed is a real asset to driving. It leaves your right hand free for shifting an auxiliary transmission or a Ruckstell....and for synchronizing engine speed when shifting an auxiliary. The only problem I have found is on rough roads where your foot tends to bounce on the pedal. I then revert to the hand feed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

This is one time when we have it all over you LHD drivers. My foot feed is a straight shaft from pedal to carby, no more complicated than the original linkage.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

I put a foot feed on my speedster to make shifting the Chicago transmission easier. Because we hit some "interesting" roads on some endurance runs, I added a peg next to the foot feed to limit the bounce factor. Works fine. Should have retained the lever control too, poor planning on my part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 12:20 am:

I think I have had nine model Ts in my life that I have driven some, or a lot. Currently working on two more. All my Ts? Only one had a foot feed. I don't like them. My well accessorized '24 coupe had one on it when I got it. I couldn't bring myself to take it off the car. It worked lousy, so I fixed it so that either the foot or hand feed works well. I still only use the hand throttle on it.
I use the "bear hug" method. When I shift Muncie, Rocky, or Ruckstell, I anticipate my gear ahead enough to keep in gear when safer. Wait until a good moment to shift, left arm "hugs" the steering wheel and operates the hand throttle, right hand shifts center levers. I find I have better rpm control using my hand throttle than with a foot feed. Better rpm control means less clashing of gears. And I don't like grinding gears.

Our friend Ralph Ricks (RIP) used to often post that all cars, modern and otherwise, should use a hand throttle only. He gave some good arguments in that regard.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Yes Steve , I think there are other parts missing , the link to pedal for one .I will like to see one in operation ,complete
I guess it was not too popular when there is so little info on them
Thank you all for the input
Lorenzo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Ruckstell handle properly located:

That way you have the RH free to blip the throttle if you so desire.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration