Timer question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Timer question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Hi all,
I have a few old timers that have damaged insulator rings in them and was wondering if anyone makes a replacement insulator where the roller contacts? Is there a good replacement material I could machine a new ring out of?
Thanks for your input.
jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Jim, I would think that micarta board would work well. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Keith,
Thanks for responding to my post. I haven't herd of Micarta board so I looked it up and it looks like that might work for me.
J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I can tell you from personal experience that those insulators vary quite a bit between different brands and vintages of timers. The thickness of timer bodies varies, the step offset also varies the diameter, (some don't offset at all, some a little, some a lot), and the contacts vary on length, width, and thickness.
I suspect that is why nobody offers replacement insulators. I do wish that someone would offer a "one size doesn't really fit anything" but close insulator. I have shimmed an insulator from one timer into a larger body using paper. Seems to work fine. I tried it after finding a couple of originals that were shimmed that way.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration