Metal lathe?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Metal lathe?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

Is this a good lathe for the model t work i.e. Transmission drums? I hate to buy a grizzly after reading about people having problem with them - and a few years ago everyone said go "south bend" and I just found these brand new..

https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool-shop/products/south-bend-variable-speed-sb1 001

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

you could make bushing on that ha ha ,.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Looks good to me. Let me know when you get it. I'll bring over some drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

I sold up my big tooling over 10 years ago, my only regret was parting with my big lathe, I have a smaller one and the bed is not long enough to spin a T crank but does anything else I need too.

Remember, you can do small jobs on a big lathe, but you can't do big jobs an a small lathe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Travis I think you will find this is an import that is sold under several different names, not the original South Bend made in the U.S. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

That basically is a Grizzly. South Bend was sold to the founder of Grizzly several years back.

There's not enough swing to do drums, anyway. That thing is a toy. When people were telling you to get a South Bend, they were probably talking the older, common, flat belt machines. To study-up, there's a whole section on Practical Machinist devoted to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Actually there is enough room, that SB1001 specs show the swing is 8" and a T drum is 7.5"
The same as mine in specs and I have no trouble doing drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

I have a couple friends that have bought these, made in Taiwan instead of China. This is what I would buy if I had any money. Actually, I'd sell you my Jet and buy one of these.

Search Eisen Lathe

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC2 .A0.H0.Xeisen+lathe.TRS0&_nkw=eisen+lathe&_sacat=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

a good lathe needs to have a 12" swing & 60" between centers. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

EISEN 1236GH Bench Lathe with Stand, Made in Taiwan, Single-Phase 220V Motor
$4,224.00

Before I'd spend $3400 on the South Bend I'd spend another $800 on one of these. DRO, 12 x 36.

That little South Bend is only an 8 x 18.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Swing -- yes, it's a catalog 8" machine, but it's only 5" over the carriage. That's cutting it close if you need to reach very far to do anything.

$3,400 bucks will buy you one hell of a piece of good used American iron in a more practical size.... and of course, the bigger you go, the cheaper they get!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

I picked up a little Atlas at garage sale for $80.It will turn about anything I need. I also have an old Rivet screw lathe. I use it for making rivets and bushings.Paid a guy who was moving $5 for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

EISEN 1640G 16"x40" precision engine lathe with DRO (Made in Taiwan)
$14,658.00

Well, I'd like to have one of these. But..

Seriously, I use my lathes a lot. I have a Jet 13 x 36 I bought about 20 years ago that must have a zillion and a half hours on it, a little Chinese 5 x 19 POS from Little Machine Shop that I bought about 4 or 5 years ago that has a zillion hours on it but mostly turning brass and two Unimats from the 70's that have untold hours on them.

Accuracy is the first requirement and capacity is the second. I have never been able to get this Chinese thing to where I can put anything in the chuck and expect it to be accurate. It had a Chinese chuck when I bought it, bought a much - supposedly -- better quality chuck which was also Chinese and it isn't much better. That said, it is reasonably accurate and about what I expected when I bought it; it was about $1800, even the Chinese can't turn much out for that kind of money. I would gladly upgrade to a better one but I need the small size and variable speed for what I do so other than another Chinese one I don't see much available.

My take on machine tools is to buy a small, cheap one from a company that makes big expensive tools. They don't need to make money on the little ones, they are trying to develop a customer that will come back when they are ready for a bigger more expensive one.

I took a machine shop class for two winters in the 70's, at that time Clausing and South Bend were big American companies. All the oriental stuff was junk. Today, all that's left of South Bend is the name and they stick it on Chinese tools to try to sell them.

Where did America go? Across the ocean to people who were willing work cheaper and learn to make better and better products. These lathes are a good example.

If you want to be a machinist instead of just having a tool to use to turn things down, shop around for a mint condition Myford Super 7.

FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

the used market is so soft, I would shop around. A friend just bought an old American Lathe, I think a 9" for $350 with tooling at a yard sale! Appears to have little to no wear on it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes, Mississauga, Ontario on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Travis

I have just gone through the same dilemma. I had a smaller unit like that from the grizzly family and while it was ok ended up to be to small overall.

I ended up selling it and bought a Standard Modern 13 x 22 which has been the cats meow.

Buy older and you will get a much better product for less money

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

You should be able to find a good used lathe for about 1/2 that price, with some tooling. and be twice as big. I bought my ancient 6 foot by 16 inch swing Hendy for 400.00. with a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, tool post, and some tooling. I know where there are a couple similar vintage lathes at for about 800.00 to 1000.00 here in Arkansas. Even worn they will do very good work. I can consistently turn to with-in .001 inch on my old (pre-1936) Hendy for the full length of the bed. (I can do half a thousand if I'm careful). I myself prefer the old antique machines. But that is just me. With some shopping around the good old machines are out there and very reasonable in price. If you decide to go with used I would want to see it run, and if possible have someone knowledgeable with you that can run it, and inspect it with you. I do not know what I would do with out my Hendy Lathe. For an example of what can be found. I just bought me a Bridgeport milling machine. There is a little backlash in the lead screws, but the ways are tight. The bearings are good, it is single phase, and came with a vice, collets, and about a bucket of end mills, and misc. tooling. It also has a shaper attachment for cutting keyways I may never need but it is there. The only real drawback is it has the short 32 inch table, instead of the 42 inch I would like to have had. But it will do 90 percent of what I will ever want to do with it. and It was just 850.00 hooked up and running. Good luck in whatever you decide on and the main thing is "Be Safe and Have Fun"

This is the day I brought her home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Stan,

We import Subaru parts from all over the far east. The other day I received a solicitation for some parts and they were quite proud of, their selling slogan. "Chinese prices Taiwan quality" not sure which is worse.

We all got a good chuckle out of that, I personally have a English Harrision lathe 8 foot centers and will swing a 25" flywheel. I use it mostly for my watch making. I also have a Enco cheapie for roughing out and quick work.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Stan,

We import Subaru parts from all over the far east. The other day I received a solicitation for some parts and they were quite proud of, their selling slogan. "Chinese prices Taiwan quality" not sure which is worse.

We all got a good chuckle out of that, I personally have a English Harrision lathe 8 foot centers and will swing a 25" flywheel. I use it mostly for my watch making. I also have a Enco cheapie for roughing out and quick work.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

my old lathe is a 1915 southbend it dose a good job 14"x 60" if i need bigger my bro has lathes that are from 5' to 12' down. my nefuew the gun smith has cnc lathe& mill another has a plasma cutter that cuts 5'x 10' 1/2" thick. so i have it covered. Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Travis,
Wished you lived closer.....from my Dad's estate, I have an older 13" South Bend lathe that is in good condition. It has quick change, 3 & 4 Jaw chucks and other associated tooling. Asking $1300.00. I do not need 3 lathes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 06:44 am:

A good lathe is worth a road trip.

I have a old Sheldon? I think, lathe about the size of the first 1 posted I gave 350 for with a rough looking but sturdy table.I have used it for several projects for my T's.
Don't rush into buying a new overseas lathe. A 500 mile road trip and a 1000 bucks would probably buy you a fine US made machine.

Here is why I say that.
I currently have 1 of the Central Machinery mini lathes, variable speed dc motor powered,in the shop that was given to me because the man could not find a replacement board for the speed control. a 7 x10 according to the sticker. I think he said he got to use it about a hour before something went up in smoke.
No parts, no service, no help from Northern tool where he bought it from what he told me.
So be careful.A broken gear,or some other issue may leave you with a expensive boat anchor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 07:11 am:

We have two south bends both long beds and
a Greaves Klusman heavy 20. S.B. I think has
a good bang for the buck...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:38 am:

There's always a wide variety of lathes on Craigslist, at least in my area.

Same goes for milling machines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:33 am:

"I personally have a English Harrision lathe 8 foot centers and will swing a 25" flywheel. I use it mostly for my watch making."

Must be big watches

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Ken,

Here's another watchmaker's lathe. You can keep it in your toolbox for roadside repairs.

http://mankato.craigslist.org/bfs/5352117255.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

I would just like to find an old southbend Like the one I used in High School shop class. I could do anything with that single post lathe including making a hollow ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

My 16 inch South Bend is likely older then my 22 T. With a 14 inch four jaw and a 10 inch 3 jaw and bronze bearings if I am careful it seems to work fine for T work. I fussed with lapping the bearings along with many other issues from wear but for a 1000. it will turn a drive shaft, or disc brake rotors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Geez Eric, even if I had the room I'd still only want about 1/4 of that kind of bed length. Maybe Walter could buy it and start turning steel light posts. I wonder if it's got a hollow spindle for those extra long jobs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

A friend (RIP) has a older Jet, forget finding parts for it even on e-bay of from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Maybe I could take the second quarter of the bed and add it on to mine. I love my 18.5" Monarch, but it is only 30" between centers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Eric:

When Ken is in Minnesota to buy that lathe in Mankato, he should first swing by Sanborn and pick this up so he has something to haul it on:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/atq/5303536038.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Erik, that looks like it came out of Northern Minnesota. I wonder what they used it for in farm country. Maybe moving buildings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

How about a lathe that has a 25' bed and weighs in at around 24 tons?
Although its not a metal lathe (granite) its still worth a look and you if you want to know more, you can read all about it here........http://matama.weebly.com/granite-lathe.html
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Now that is a nice medium sized machine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

There is a firm here in town that reworks rollers used in large news paper printing presses. The equipment they have is huge!I could spend a few hours just watching them do their work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

I love work, I can sit and watch it for hours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Wow! That makes my lathe with a 16 inch four jaw look small. Look at the size of the swarf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Stan I ordered you this for Christmas. Hope you like it "EISEN 2233GVS Fully Loaded Engine Lathe with EVS, DRO, TTA, 3.3" Bore, 15HP"
I think I got your billing address correct.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

John,you shouldn't squander the Old man's money like that. He has another B-day coming soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Th th th th th thanks, John!! How kind. Can I trade it for your virtually perfect Myford Super 7 with every possible accessory that you STILL don't have set up so I can come play with it???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Melchert on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

http://www.smithy.com/granite-3-in-1

I have the 1340 and like it. It works well for what I need it for. Not super accurate but if your careful it does a good job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Circa 1890. I hope someday to set up a shop with a line shaft to run it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

eds. pic makes me think of my time at boeing in the old days!!!!! charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration