Difference in Service Bulletin Editions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Difference in Service Bulletin Editions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:40 am:

I am looking at purchasing the Service Bulletin book. I see two different editions for sale on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=for d+model+t+service+bulletins&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aford+model+t+service+bulletins

Is there much of a difference between the blue/black covered 1973 edition and the brown covered one with the car on the front? The 1973 edition is almost half the cost of the brown covered edition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 06:52 am:

Bottom Line Up Front:

Jim,

If you have an extra $24 (shipping always bumps it up some) to gamble, you might get a really good deal or be a little frustrated. If you decide to order one – I would recommend be sure that it says “hardcover” and not “softcover.”

Additional details:

• Hardcover: 503 pages
• Publisher: Post Era Books; Revised edition (1973)
• Language: English
• ISBN-10: 0911160191
• ISBN-13: 978-0911160192
• Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 6.4 x 1.6 inches
• Shipping Weight: 0.3 ounces
• Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
• Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,746,255 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
o #19303 in Books > Science & Math > Technology
o #466596 in Books > Textbooks

Some times it is hard to tell. If you expand the blue cover you can see in the lower right hand corner that it states “Note: This is not the actual book cover” But if the ISBN is the same you should be getting the same text. Amazon has this note on the :

“ ISBN
This bar-code number lets you verify that you're getting exactly the right version or edition of a book. The 13-digit and 10-digit formats both work. “

But you still run the risk of sometimes having a poor quality reproduction or print with some books. For example a DIFFERENT book “Ford Service” -- has excellent information. It is available for viewing free on-line at: http://mtfci2002.readyhosting.com/manuals/Model_T_Service_Manual/mtsm.html There are some good reprints but the one with the 1926 or 1927 Runabout on the cover is just a poor copy. You can see that one at: http://www.amazon.com/Model-Ford-Factory-Service-Manual/dp/1481054465/ref=sr_1_f kmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450437541&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=ford+model+t+service+bulleti ns I purchased one with the idea that it could ride in the tool box. And it still can -- but it is just so poor a quality of print – it looks like a Xerox of a Xerox etc. When I purchased it there were NOT any reviews of the book listed yet. Now folks have commented on it and the comments on Amazon.com about that book are helpful: It says:

It is a reprint of a previous publication and all they did was copy and paste the pages from the original (or previous reprint) which resulted in very poor quality pictures and the print failed to fill the pages. There is literally HUGE margins on all sides of the text.

So be sure that the copy of the book you want has clear text and photos or that you have good eyes. In the case of the book you are interested in – I would avoid paperback versions as they might be a reprint and if so they might or might not be good quality text. You would find out when it arrives.

Good luck and if you do purchase it – please let us know how it comes out.

Respectfully,

Submitted,

Hap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:04 am:

The best reproduction bulletins to buy is the ones the MTFCI makes. They are almost like the originals. The ones you have reference to above are only clips from the originals, meaning they left out the Fordson and Lincoln stuff and are only 1/2 the size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Guys, thanks for the input. I went on the MTFCI site and couldn't find the book on their site, just the CD rom. Not that I am opposed to computerized versions of things, I just happen to like the physical book better. Also, Amazon doesn't list the MTFCI as the publisher of the book - only Ford Motor Company.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration