Red Hot Battery Cable

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Red Hot Battery Cable
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:47 am:

friends,

I just noticed when starting my car these days the negative battery cable will glow red if the starter turns over, and then fade off. I checked all the connections, they are tight. Have a thick negative ground braid to the frame and the connection to the frame is tight contact...

any clue what causes this? The 6V battery is only about 3 years old? Shorted battery perhaps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:58 am:

About the only thing in the car that could put out enough current to turn a ground strap red hot is the battery itself. I suspect you have installed a light gauge 12V battery ground strap which is not ever going to work on your 6V system. Battery cables for 6V cars are at least twice as heavy as 12V cables but all you can buy at NAPA and other places typically is 12V cables. Call up Lang's old car parts at 1-800-TPARTS-1 and get a new 6V battery ground strap made for your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:06 am:

I had the EXACT same thing happen on my '27 Tudor. Get rid of the braided cable that's the problem. It isn't poor connections it's the cable itself. You might, as I did, have a faster cranking starter too after a proper replacement is installed. I did not go with another braided one as it isn't seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Langs sells an almost exact copy of the original Ford ground strap. It is not zinc plated as original, but other than that they are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:19 am:

cool, I ordered up the original ground strap. thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration