Old Photo - Eat At Dad And Ma's Barbeque

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Eat At Dad And Ma's Barbeque
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

We had a diner out in Toms River called the Dover. On the roof was a sign that said "eat here or we'll both starve"! The building kind of resembled what's shown in the photo. When they tore it down one of those railroad car Jersey diners was inside. Built the wooden house around it. The railroad diner was sold and carted off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

I want one of the gas pumps out front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

I will take the other one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Charlie, was that televised a few years ago? I remember seeing a program (maybe Mega Movers?) about a diner just like that back East. Very interesting program. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Looks like some long lost relatives place in Maine....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Who would want to eat at some place with all that character when they could just go to
one of our modern fast food joints and enjoy some taste-free yuck ???

Where did America go wrong ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

I can almost smell the Barbecue. The Rumble Seat Roadster is great. It looks like a Model A except the bumpers and taillight might make it a Chevrolet or some lesser brand. (A little Fuzzy) I'd bet on '26-'27 for the Tudor.

Rich

I hope Jay never tires of digging these photos up. They truly are treasures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

their slogan was : EAT HERE AND GET GAS
always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Dave: there was a documentary about the Jersey railroad car diners and the people that collect them I remember seeing years back but the Dover was moved only about 2 or 3 years ago so no it wasn't featured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

There's an original, restored railroad diner inside The Henry Ford museum. It is fully functional and ready to serve you lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 08:45 am:

I'll take a mom & pop "dive" any day over the chain restaurants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 09:27 am:

I think the roadster is a bigger car than an A or Chev. It's more like a Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

Back in the day in Seattle was a famous Rail car dinners, "Kinghts Dinner" on 4th ave south. They ground their own beef and baked their own pies.

They had a house specialty the Napoli Steak. Huge ground round steak with a slice of swiss cheese and toped with French dressing and fresh cooked hash browns. It was to die for.

At lunch the line was out on the street. You sat at the counter and they cooked behind the counter. The car still had the stained glass windows, and most of the original wall lights. There was a plaque that stated the history of the car. It was a Railroad Presidents car. In the early 80's the property was sold the restaurant was closed and the car disappeared. Damn I miss that Napoli steak

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

By Tim Wrenn-

I'll take a mom & pop "dive" any day over the chain restaurants.

================================================

As would I. And mom-n-pop motels too. I go out of my way to
find them.

Trouble is, the hoy-pelloy just want the plastic, homogenized dullness
of corporate America and the mom-n-pops have a tough go of it because
everyone will stand in line to get their cardboard sandwich, while across
the street the good food at the place with lots of history and character
keeps an empty parking lot. :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Brass Car Guy - My office at UPRR's Argo Yard in Seattle was literally "walking distance" from Knight's Diner. I had a favorite there, and anytime I had an excuse to take any visiting "dignitaries " to lunch, I'd order (and suggest to my guests) the bar-b-qued prime steak. Pretty heavy for a lunch, but boy,....was that a good meal, any time of day or night! Yeah, I always missed Knight's Diner too,.....also, Andy's Tukwila Station,.....same family, also consisted of several RR passenger cars. Knight's Diner was made up of three or four old early 20th century passenger cars, and Andy's Tukwila Station was made up of three or four of the larger and a few years newer streamlined passenger cars. Besides great food, both establishments were like a railroad "museum". All gone now,.....dang!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Here's the local place from my childhood--Ma Green's Koffee Kup, with two benches out front for folks to wait on to get in. Inside, two booths, six counter stools. She was written up in some eastern magazine, maybe it was the New Yorker, and folks would wait for hours to get in (we weren't in such a hurry in those days. Despite the fact that the place was part of our resort, we usually only went once a month--eating out back then was a real treat. The other place we went was the Piedmont Italian Hotel in Mount Shasta, which just closed a year ago (AUGH!! that was THE place to go, still served "family style.")
Ma Green's husband was the original owner of my Model A, which I've written about here elsewhere, it sat just behind the building--in fact, I think that's a shadow of it on the left edge of the picture. Ma Green did so well, she took a trip around the world once, and to the Caribbean twice, and took a friend too--back when folks didn't travel much, as it was way too expensive for ordinary folk.
I still remember that if you ordered a "country fried steak," she would get out the meat, tenderize it (with a mallet), and flour it, then put it on the grill. Store-bought, in the box stuff is no way that good!

Ma Green herself, about 1960

The resort, about 1949 the building with the gas pumps is the house I grew up in -- Until 8th Grade, when Dad built the new house (where Ma Green's stood). I still have the Standard Dealer sign & the Brown's Cabins Office sign is still on the property.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration