Nut for 3/8" driveshaft spool, 1910

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Nut for 3/8" driveshaft spool, 1910
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Thanks to John King's research, I obtained the correct dimension for the 3/8" nut that holds the spool to the driveshaft for 1910 cars. The hex is 5/8" like the later nuts, but threaded 3/8 by 16 tpi. It is 1/2 inch tall. Very unusual considering the internal thread for my 1910 RE housings is 3/8 by 24 tpi. That means the studs have two different threads on them, one for entering the RE, the other for accepting the nut at the other end. According to how I read Trent's research, some of the 1910 housings accepted a 3/8 by 24 inch stud and some accepted the 13/32 by 16 tpi type. All very strange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 01:43 am:

You guys are sharp!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 02:01 am:

To the best of my knowledge they are all 24 TPI. They are a special bolt and may be addressed as 3/8+1/16 or 13/32. A standard bolt will fit but it is not correct and will be very loose. I have an old set of taps and dies that are stamped 3/8 + 1/16, I have heard of other sets that are stamped 13/32. They are a special oversize bolt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration