Adjustment of Spray valve on a NH carb.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Adjustment of Spray valve on a NH carb.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

I have a rebuilt NH carburetor and this is the first T carburetor I have owned. I bought one of those Texas Kohler carbs and have found that it is hard to start and runs rich. So I got an NH, but I do not know how to adjust the spray needle valve. I have a rebuilt 1916 motor. So I am hand cranking it to start. I would like to know how many turns off closed to start and once it has started and I am driving how should I adjust it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Set it 1 1/4 turns open and after it starts and warms up ,set to run smooth.My preference is,once set,leave it alone. Others opinion may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Kevin,Jack has it about right.Once the motor has warmed up I wind the needle down until the motor starts to miss as it is too lean. Then I wind it back up until it starts to miss because it is too rich. By then you have a good indication of where the best running spot is. I prefer to approach this from the rich side.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

Thanks Jack and Allan. I appreciate your explanations. Kevin in Utah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Thanks Jack and Allan. I appreciate your explanations. Kevin in Utah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Not all carbs are the same. I find that my NH runs best at 1 turns out. I used the same procedure as Allan to find that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

I crank start my cars too and find that for cold starting it is best to open it up a 1/2 turn and then turn it back right after it starts. I put a dot of nail polish at the 12 o'clock location once I find the best running position when warmed up so I can find it again. Every one of my cars has a NH on it and each one is different so that is why I use the red dot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

My 16 likes 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 to start, then I back it down some. A good way to tell if you are running rich or lean is by adding external fuel. I use propane via a rubber hose into the carb inlet. If you're running lean the engine will speed up. Rich and it will slow down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Interesting about the turns open, I use Kingston L-4 on my 26 and it runs best with 1/2 turn open, my 24 is using a NH and it is best at 1 to 11/4 turns open, I have a L-4 for the 24 but I need to do some repairs to it. Just an observation.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 11:45 am:

I don't think we need to open the mixture more than 1/3 turn on the 14 and 1 turn on the 15.We re adjust long before warm and if needed you can run rich to cool the Ford.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

My NH (15 touring) runs best at 1 turn open from lightly seated. But if warm, there's no way it will start until I close it about 1/2 turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Original needles can be kind of soft - if you've made it smooth like Steve shows here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTiStUTU9IE
then don't bottom it out too hard - the ridge you just smoothed out may come back real fast.. (own experience)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Let me revise my turns at start up, it should be 1-1/2 to 1-3/4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Power on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Philip berg. That was brilliant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Power on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I'm sorry. I meant Roger Karllson.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration