Drive shaft to transmission assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Drive shaft to transmission assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 01:57 am:

Can anyone tell me if gasket # 2580 is used between ball cap and motor and also used between flange behind u-joint housing and ball cap ... some parts books call for two required and others call for one per car ??? .... also is there a right way to install flip top oilers (26/27 type ) .. what I mean is should they be installed to flip open to left /right or front /back ??? Thanks for any help ..Joe G.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 03:08 am:

I think it's between the ball cap and the motor, at least that's the way it was on my car. I think it's to seal oil from getting out past the fourth main and dribbling on the floor. On the other side of that flange the ball is filled with grease, so there'd be no need for a gasket there...I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 07:49 am:

Martin is correct, only one gasket between the ball cap and the transmission. With an additional gasket the u-joint housing would be loose. If really worn you my have to use a shim there, sold by the vendors.

I don't think the Ford assembly line workers had time to care about what orientation the flip top oilers had, since it doesn't matter for their function. Besides, maybe the king pins came to the front axle assembly line with the oilers installed(?) then it would be hard to tell what direction it would end up installed? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Use logic on flip top oilers. If you try to put them in a front spring the wrong way for instance, you wouldn't be able to open them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Of course you're right, Larry - I thought it was so tight with the spring assembled in place, so I never installed oilers in the springs - I just oil into the holes in the spring a little more often and avoid too messy roads :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

I couldn't get oilers to work on the front spring on my TT, they are way too tall. When I got my '25 coupe, I found out why. The original oilers on it are a lot shorter than what the vendors sell, at least the ones that were available ten years ago were too tall. Has anyone started making the correct ones? Anybody else run into that? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Some of the springs have tapered holes and the oilers won't stay in. I suppose that is caused because the holes were drilled before the eyes were bent on the ends of the spring. I use oilers if the stay, and if they don't I leave them out. I do use them on the spring perches and the spindle bolts and the tie rod ends.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration