'26-'27 Headlight Bucket Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '26-'27 Headlight Bucket Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 05:39 am:

I have a nice '26-'27 headlight bucket that I'm going to put on the classifieds. Are there any differences between the early '26 fender mount buckets and the later '26-'27 tie bar mount buckets? If so, what are they? I want to list it as best as I can. Thanks. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 06:14 am:

The mountings are entirely different. The earlier buckets mount on a stalk that bolts directly to the fender. The later ones clamp to the tie bar. They are NOT interchangeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 08:26 am:

David,

If you look at the photos in Bruce McCalley's (R.I.P.) on-line encyclopedia it makes it easy to see the differences etc. Go to: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#lamps and scroll down to 1926 and click on the links to the headlamps.

Note, Kevin is correct that you cannot just interchange a single stalk mounted for a single headlight that was mounted on the final design late 1926 to 1927 tie bar. But because Ford was so insistent about backwards compatible parts, I believe you would be able to mount the entire headlight assembly on any 1926-27 car. I.e. unbolt both headlamps and parts from an early 1926 and also a late 1927 and I would think you could swap the entire set up out. Someone that has actually tried that can confirm it fit "ok" or you can't get there from here.

Note ref the Dec 1925 Price List of Parts -- it indicates the stalk mounted to the fender style headlamps initially came with a left and right version. Then in the Aug 1926 Price List of Parts version it indicates that the Right Headlamp could be used on the left side by changing the position of the lens. So it sounds like Ford made some sort of change to the part to allow that. There was a thread that discussed what if any difference between the early stalk mounted and later still stalk mounted right and left headlamps at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/376847.html And the conclusion I got from that thread is “more research is probably needed”. I.e. Tom’s thought that the weep hole location was the difference (i.e. it should be a single one and when mounted correctly would be located at the bottom so the water could drain out) was doing great until Ken posted photos of two different buckets – one did not have any weep hole for the water to get out. The other had two weep holes so that it could be mounted on either fender and the water could get out.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 08:30 am:

The later buckets have a threaded stud. As Kevin says, the early buckets have a short stalk with a two bolt flange.

I've seen variations in the early buckets too. The area around the socket sleeve can be flat on some or round on others. You should specify if a single bucket is "flat-back" or "round-back" if someone is looking for a match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 03:05 am:

Thanks guys. The bucket I have has a bracket/mount that is attached with six rivets, three on each side with a concave lower surface, for what I am assuming is for alignment. It has a rectangular hole for what I think would be for a carriage type bolt, no stud. It appears the rectangular hole allows for up and down adjustment. It does have the "flat back" as Ken posted, and has a Ford script. What do I have? Again, thanks. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 04:59 am:

Sounds like you have the '27 style. Oddly enough they've been reproduced and are available here: https://www.modeltford.com/item/6512.aspx
g

The 1926 style looks like this:
f

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Yup Roger, the first one is it. I'll be putting it on the classifieds soon. Thanks to all that helped. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Note the focus screw on the two lights above.

The bulb element aligns with that focus screw.

They drove a friend of mine nuts trying to produce that cross ways beam pattern shown in the maintenance manual.

I have an original one like the one above and it has Ford in script letters around the top of the wire connection socket and Brown in script around the bottom of the same socket.

The alignment screw is also horizontal.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration