1913 Horn Setups - Looking for Info of the Mounting Bracket Setup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1913 Horn Setups - Looking for Info of the Mounting Bracket Setup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 11:12 am:

I've been trying to find photos on here and the web for a 1913 horn tube mounting bracket setup. The part that mounts to the body of the car. Id like to know specifically what it looks like. Also the correct length of the flexible tube.
I picked up an original complete Rubes horn setup with an original Nonpareil horn bulb. The bracket with it is similar in style to the repops (although smaller and better looking). Is this the correct bracket then?

I will get pics of mine later when I go to the barn.

-Benji

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 11:37 am:

I would like to see pictures of what you have. This is a snippet of a factory photo from early 1914 model year showing the horn bulb mounted on a USA built car in Highland Park plant.

A new 1913 touring:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Hey Royce, thanks for the pics. It looks like that horn mounting is similar to mine. Oh, and it seems mine is a 14 horn, it has an oval mounting bracket. I thought it had a round one. I have a round one I will switch out as I want to put this on my 13 touring project. I have an extra tube and the double threaded piece the reed solders in to. It's on the opposite end as seen on the complete setup. It has a few splits in the brass flexible part, but I think I can fix it.

I have a pic of the repop stuff with the what I would think is original mounting bracket.

The link to the pictures is here:
http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/electrical_steamworks/library/13-14%20Horn

I couldn't get them small enough to be of any good use due to the poor resolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Looks nice. I would polish it, paint the horn black and get a new bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

Thanks! Thats the plan for this winter sometime. The bulb is still soft, believe it or not. I still will get a new one. So, this then would be the correct setup for the 13/14 T? And the mounting bracket is correct? I have no measurements to go off of for the tube length.

The other steel bracket for a 14 you posted about awhile back, when did that come out in use during the 14 year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Maybe RV Anderson has a date for the later bracket. It is a big improvement over the early bracket, and having the reed at the bulb end gives a better honk.

Here's that old thread where I replaced the crappy repro with the original bracket on my '14:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/496499.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

I believe the later bracket with the short stem was introduced at or near the change to the 3/4 twist (so called) horn, at which time the bulb and bracket was moved to a mounting position inside the dummy door panel and a mounting block was added underneath the panel. The length of the flexible tube was changed at the same time to approx. 20-21".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:18 am:

I've come to the conclusion that those assembly line boys just screwed the horn tube bracket into the body block where they thought it should be. There are just too many variations of placement. I have no proof, but having studied these horns for years, I've come to the following conclusion, and this is after studying many known original cars. 1913, round mounting bracket, 1914, oval mounting bracket, 1915 clover shaped mounting bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 10:28 am:

I haven't seen any of RVs horn tube brackets, but knowing him, they are perfect. The ones that Sheldon Greenland made back in the '60s were way off. The biggest problem is Rubes used two different thread sizes, which makes mating up parts difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 11:15 am:

Larry, I've made the same observations and wondered if the bulb and tube were dealer installed and perhaps customer fitted. Wild guess maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Check out the mounting of this horn tube.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration