Driveshaft Front Bushing Puller Drawing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Driveshaft Front Bushing Puller Drawing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I had the good fortune of coming across an original Stevens front driveshaft bushing puller last year. It is a fairly rare tool that would be relatively easy to duplicate. The drawing shows the basic dimensions of the tool. The fingers snap out once the shaft is pushed past the bushing. The width of the fingers are such that they will slip between the rivets that hold the front casting to the driveshaft tube. The bushing is not really tight in the driveshaft tube. The original bushing is babbitt.

This drawing is my Christmas present to you all in consideration of all of the help, information, and entertainment that I receive from you forum members all year long.

Verne Shirk - Editor of The Flatland Tribune, official newsletter of the Flatland T's of Kansas Chapter of the MTFCA
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

The spring can be seen in between the levers that pop out to catch the edge of the Babbitt bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Vern,

Thank you for sharing the photo and your drawing. The drawing gives us the dimensions we need. Note the MTFCA rear axle booklet mentions that if someone does not have a puller they can use a long pipe. But they caution you not to use one with too large a diameter or you may shear the heads off the rivets on the drive shaft housing. They list 1.25 inch max outside diameter to avoid hurting the rivets. Your tool has 1.23 so it has a little more safety margin.

Nice find on your Steven's tool.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Hap,
Shearing the rivets is certainly a potential problem. I can say I did that one time.
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Hi Verne,

Thank you so much for the drawing. I have one of those tools, but mine is tired. The levers have seen better days and the spring is quite "messed up". I am now more empowered to repair it. Thanks again, Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration