Choke pull rod

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Choke pull rod
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 12:26 am:

On starter equipped cars, how is the aluminium knob at the dash fixed to the rod connecting the bell crank on the firewall?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:16 am:

I believe the knob is actually some kind of pot metal. It seems they are cast on the end of the steel rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:23 am:

My first guess would be that it screws on, but I didn't want to try unscrewing it because I didn't want to wreck it if I guessed wrong. My second guess would be that it's pressed on, but I think that would be more likely to work loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

With you on that one Steve, they aren't threaded.

Pressed or swagged would be a better word, the soft Alum knob is fixed to the end of the rod. Can't be removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

I agree,you will destroy it if you try to remove.Don't ask how I know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

I believe I'll go with Royce on this one. I can't imagine swaging and expecting them to hold for 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

I'm going with aluminum myself. To me, they just look too light in color for potmetal, plus I've never seen one that has deteriorated like potmetal usually does. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 05:40 am:

My rod has been shortened and is severely worn where it goes through the firewall. I can't budge the knob. It looks to be cast in place. So,it looks like I will have to weld a new piece of rod onto the old.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration