Corbin Speedometers for Model T Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Corbin Speedometers for Model T Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Lines on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 07:32 am:

Does anyone have experience of using such a set up please?

I have a very nice Corbin auto speedometer and plan to use this for my car once finished. I would be very grateful for any advice and to see any pictures as to how to mount and configure the drive gear, please.

I would also be grateful to hear about any useful parts which may be available for such a set up, including the drive wheel and brackets. I have a drive cable but would like to source a new one. I'm sure I read somewhere that these are reproduced?

Thanks for any help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Check Russ Furstnows book. They were an aftermarket accessory, so you would need to find all the attaching parts for it to be authentic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Steven, Duncan and Fraser offered Corbin speedos as accessories for the cars they sold. The dash of the car had a neat hole cut into it and a metal U shaped bracket was fixed to the back of the unit and then two metal threads bolted this to the panel. On cars not fitted with the speedo a neat, round plate with a rolled edge was used to blank off the hole.
I will post some photos of the swivel used and the mounting when I get home from driving my chocolate van for a Christmas promotion.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Lines on Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Thank you both for your replies to my post.

I look forward to learning and seeing more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:02 am:

Steven, here are some photos of the components.
The dash is from a 1923-25 car,RHD. You just need to transpose the mounting hole.

The swivel is cast iron. It was most likely nickel plated, without first being polished. The mountings were also plated. The swivel is 1:1 ratio.

This road wheel gear came from wooden spoke wheel. I have to devise a way to fit it to my Hayes wire wheels.

The Corbin speedo is perhaps the best quality instrument at the time. The car units Duncan and Fraser fitted were 60mph jobs. If you have an 80mph head, it is worth big money to Indian/Harley enthusiasts.

The fellow who does the briliant brass lamp restorations here in South Australia also has beeutiful new bevelled glasses spun into nee nickel plated rims for these speedos, if you have a need for same.

Hopr yhis helps.
Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 06:05 am:

I need a pointier finger when posting from my phone!!!
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Lines on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 06:37 am:

Hi Allan,

Many thanks for posting the photos and for the extra information. I have the bracket which you show so am pleased I have the correct item. It would be good to find a picture showing this actually mounted to a T front end. I do not have the fibre gear or the main gear which fits to the road wheel hub unfortunately. If you could provide details of these to allow me to get some made please (number of teeth, PCD etc.) that would be wonderful and I would be very grateful.

I also have a Corbin 0-4000rpm tachometer and would like to use this alongside my speedometer for my racing car. Trying to work out how to mount and drive this tacho is my next problem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Steven, you will have to wait for photos of the parts mounted on the car. That will come, hopefully before the next National Rally in September. I will keep my eyes open for a roadwheel gear.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration